205 GTI Moddage

Soldato
Hi all,

I ordered 40mm lowering springs for the 205 today. I'm fed up with it being standard! Some might say this is a car that should not be fettled with, but I cant resist the bug anymore.

In addition to this I'm going to be refurbishing the alloys. They are all kerbed and the paint is flaking off. I've made a start on one of them (the spare), and painted it................

.... White :)

The rim needs another coat, then laquered after that. What do you guys think?

dsc005650bj.jpg

This the is look I'm going for (without the graphics)

butler2.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
That will look sweet mate! Didn't know you had a 205 though, must have missed the thread.

What else do you have planned for it,and I think you should get the ralle graphics on the front grille.

Soldato
ooo, a 205 thread \o/

Are you going to be fitting the springs all round, or just the front? I'm thinking about fitting them to the front of my XS, and lowering the rear torsion bar :)

Soldato
LOL, answered your own question there then westy.

The 205 only has springs at the front and torsion bar at the rear.

Make sure when you get your torsion bar done that its re-tensioned after adjustment as ive seen no end not done properly.

Caporegime
what paint and lacquer are you using?
tempted to do my m3 alloys (not white), but have been told i really need 2pack paint rather than 1pack from normal shops, 2 is a lot more hard wearing etc apparently.

Soldato
Don't do it! The standard 205 is a beautiful thing. Lower it by all means but the white alloys..........it's just going to look naf! IMO of course.

GT3

GT3

Soldato
Nice, didn't you have a 205 ages ago and your username was pugboy before you got a couple of mk1 golfs or am I thinking of someone else?

Man of Honour
Personally I'd have gone 1" lowering springs from Rally Design rather than -40mm, but it's up to you :) Lowering the torsion bar in theory is all well and good, but remember the arms are likely to be siezed, and will require mighty force to remove so you can re-set the bar. And when you get the arms out you'll often find the shafts are pitted and worn, and need binning. And then the bearings have usually collapsed. So you end up with a good condition beam but it's cost between £200 and £300 to get it back in a driveable state. So don't undertake this job lightly!

As for the wheels, they generally look good but white wheels on a white car? Unless the white is the same shade of white as the body it may look a bit odd.

Soldato
I think it'll look really good - but get some pinstrips or decalling to break up the whiteness.

I added a simple set of silver brit flags, and ST decals to my car to break up some of the white bits, works a treat :)

Back
Top Bottom