SCSI related troubles

Permabanned
Not too sure if I should put this in this GH or Harddrives section - I'll risk the GH for now.

Basically I bought a 50 pin SCSI card. Tried it with a 50-pin hard-drive (2.1gb), the SCSI's BIOS picks it up fine.

I also bought, from that certain auction site, 2 x IBM Ultrastar 18ES's and a 50>68pin convertor, and a 68-pin cable with a terminator on the end.

When I try either, or both, of the IBM drives, the BIOS fails to pick either up.

Now I'm wondering if this is because of the terminator on the end of the 68-pin cable - if so, could I chop it off?

Or could it be because 68-pin drives aren't compatible with 50-pin SCSI cards - asides the speed differences.

Basically I want to either buy a new cable, and/or SCSI card - whichever WILL remedy my problem.

Associate
You should be able to get it work. What make and model of SCSI card is it?
You would be better off using a 50pin cable with 50>68pin convertors. SCSI card should be terminated. Some of those 50-68pin adapter contain terminators, if the adapter is quite chunky it'll probably have it, if it's thin like the size of the cable then no. Sometimes you need to set the single ended jumper on the hd if it has one.
OR just get a 68pin scsi card and it should work np. ;)

Permabanned
basmic said:
Been pricing 68-pin SCSI cards, and they're flaming expensive! [/b]

You need to shop about a bit more and keep your eyes open for bargains!

I got the following:

Adaptec U320 Dual channel SCSI card = £75 (New on Auction site)
Maxtor Atlas II 15k 68Pin SCSI Hd = £90 (New on Auction site)
2 X Intel 4-device U320 SCSI cable with Terminator = £20 (New on Auction Site)

Total £185 + £20 P&P £205 :D

Best £205 I have spent on my server in a long time, can now extract 4.36Gb DVD's in roughly 60 seconds :D

Back
Top Bottom