Opteron 146 - heatsink & AGP motherboard recommendations

Associate
I have just got a Opteron 146 CABYE 0540 FPMW, and I'm looking for a motherboard and heatsink, the only problem is that I cannot afford to switch to PCI-E as I really want a Silverstone TJ07 so it would have to be AGP.

I have seen the Thermaltake Big Typhoon mentioned as a good option for air cooling - I can't afford water cooling or phase change yet.

Also any recommendation for a reasonably priced PSU.

I am upgrading from a barebones so the only components I am keeping is my memory and hard drive.

Soldato
Cody said:
I have just got a Opteron 146 CABYE 0540 FPMW
Hi,

looks like a nice stepping Opteron you have there! :) anyway I am also using a 146. I have an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium motherboard and a Thermalright SI-120 HSF fitted with an AKASA Amber 120mm.

The motherboard is great and the heatsink is *very* good!

[edit] I don't understand why the Silverstone case is forcing you to use an AGP card?

Associate
OP
If I buy the TJ07 I wont be able to afford a PCI-E graphics card as well as the motherboard as it is around £225 + I need a PSU and Heatsink.

Associate
OP
I currently have a Gainward GeForce 6600GT 256MB "Ultra/1980", which is OK for now as I don't have a decent monitor. I also have a ASROCK Combo board that I bought before the Opteron as I was going to keep my 754 3400+.

I suppose I could just swap to the PCI-E version and change the motherboard - this would give me more money to buy a motherboard. I haven't really figured out a budget yet, I want something to get the best out of the Opteron.

I will post what I can spend later when I have figured it out - I have to go to work now.

Last edited:
Soldato
hi,

have a look at the asrock dual sata2, decentish price and will do a decent job til u can afford a pci-e gfx card.

using one at the mo with a bios flash and my 146 is running at 290x9 on 1.45v.

Back
Top Bottom