DATA BACKUP SOFTWARE HELP

Associate
I have built a File server with 2 300gb SATA drives, 2 200gb SATA drives and will probably add a couple of pata drives, Now mostly i am storing all my music and media files (please do not talk about warez or copyright issues) on these drives which i do no mind losing if one of the drives failed as i have all the hard copies of them, The only thing is that i am also going to have all my digital camera pictures stored on it, I would like to do a RAID 5 but as the drives are of differant sizes this will not be possible (would it?) so i need a program that automatically backs up certain folders at set time during the week.

any siggestions?

Associate
Couldn't you use a simple xcopy command in a script and schedule it? It's how i back up certain things on our server at work. I'll have a look for the details and see what I can come up with.

Other option is I think NTBackup will allow you to backup to a file. Never really used NTBackup so not too sure about that.

One other option is a Maxtor OneTouch?

Soldato
Yes the windows backup utility allows you to choose which folders/files to backup, and backs it up to 1 file on a designated location. You can also schedule a backup.

Associate
I got Norton ghost 2004. It came with Norton Internet Suite 2005, and as a freebie. No idea if it fit's your needs because i never installed, it's never touched any computer. If it's what your looking for annd no one says it's bootlegging, your more than welcome to it.

Soldato
Ghost 2005 is even better - it allows you to backup your drives as a background process whilst running windows. You can setup and schedule jobs, and with 1 click it will run (from an icon in your taskbar)

Soldato
I use nt backup for my parent's pc, it backups all their files to a sinlge shared folder on my computer every day. It also makes a weekly backup which is achieved for one week before being deleted

Soldato
If you really want to be safe, do both; make a backup with windows backup of all your files, daily, and also run a complete drive backup with Ghost, frequently.

Has anyone restored a drive/partition with Ghost 2005 yet, how did that go?

Permabanned
Zap said:
I use nt backup for my parent's pc, it backups all their files to a sinlge shared folder on my computer every day. It also makes a weekly backup which is achieved for one week before being deleted

Any chance of explaining that a bit more mate as doing that for my old dears laptop would be great?! (She's a teacher so has some pretty important files that I would like to backup automatically on my server)

**Edit**

Don't worry I've found a excellent program thats just the ticket:

Mirrorfolder 3.00.116

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom