Need a nice new setup - well out of times!!!

Suspended
the last hi-fi setup i had was on a budget all were 5/5* winners from what hi-fi tho the parts i used were,

Sony TAFE-330R Amp
Sont CDEX-330
Moundaunt Short MS20i pearls (if anyone could find somewhere to buy this i will marry them i LOVE these little standmounts i only have one left :( the other one got knocked off my stands by someone and the cone peiercd :( )
Cambridge audio pacific connecters
and gale speaker cable. i think i paid about £300 from richer sounds back in the day, this must have been about 4-5 years ago now:S

any ideas would be well nice, i listern to Hip-Hop, Rap and drum and bass

Soldato
Well what's your budget?

There are a pair of MS20i's on ebay at the moment.

Whatever you do, dont buy by "what hifi" reviews or any other reviews for that matter. Buy with your ears.

Are you willing to go used?
How big is your room?
What do you need? CD/Amp/speakers?

Suspended
OP
its not even alive anymore after the speakers went i donated the amp + cd player to my little bro and he has since killed them both with a carton of orange juice lol - /me quickly looks on ebay

Suspended
OP
my room is about 10m x 15m, around 300-400pounds, and i dont mind buying second hand parts, im sooooo thinking about buying those ms20i's there in beech aswell they were the more exspensive pair (i had the black ones)

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
It doesnt strike me that you care about the sound quality at all, more the aesthetics and the brand names.

If you want something to do Drum and Bass justice, you need something a lot better than those 20is im afraid!

I would suggest you read my thread up at the top of the subforum and split your money something like £150 on the amp, £100-£200 on the speakers, the rest of the cash you can afford on the CD Player (with a view to upgrading later)

Soldato
You need to buy with your ears ;) If you can, drop by Sevenoaks, Audiofile Objective, and Superfi with a fist full of cash, and have a demo on any equipment they have.

Make sure you keep within your budget!

My system is no way complete, I have had cash flow problems as of late, so haven't really been able to buy anything. I have a pair of Heybrook HB 150 standmounts and a NAD C320 BEE. I still need a CD Player and may replace my dodgy amplifier (although it has been behaving itself for quite a while now /touches wood)

The speakers are great for classical music and have a warmness about them when I put anything through them. They're also not terribly muddy like my old Aiwa speakers - I really noticed this muddiness when I ran an Aiwa on the left and the Heybrook on the right. Heybrook may not be good for your drum and bass, they are probably more refined then that - although I have never put drum and bass through them yet!

I'm listening to some Puccini at the moment and the bass is magnificent :) But I listen to anything - from classical to metal :D

All my equipment I bought new, although there is nothing wrong with second hand equipment...and you'll be getting more bang for your buck :)

edit:

Draw up a budget and one of the experts on this forum can give you some good recommendations.

R & B begs for definition (especially in the vocal section) and refinement, Drum and bass begs for solid, violent in your face beats. So you'll want something that can do all that and more :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom