Project "DVD Storage"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Hi there, i'm thinking of starting a project soon to basically store all the dvds i have ( about 450) onto hard disks to play via media centre

Anyone else done this?

the plan is to use an old computer, buy some large 400gb hard drives (worked out its about 5 gb x 450 disks = 2.5tb) and put them in a raid5 configuration so that if once i've spent all that time ripping the dvds to the hard drives i'lve got a bit peace of mind in case anything goes wrong.

I was thinking after connecting all this up, i was gonna put the raid5 box in the attic and use gigabit ethernet with a gigabit swtich to attach it to the media centre pc in the lounge as i think gigabit would be needed to stream dvds.

nwork.jpg

good plan? something you've thought about? ideas? thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
OP
before people start going on about copy protection etc these are dvds i already own and its legal to make a backup i.e put onto a hard drive

Soldato
i know that. but when i tried to rip anchorman it was going crazy about copy protection, same for family guy movies

Man of Honour
Tommer said:
before people start going on about copy protection etc these are dvds i already own and its legal to make a backup i.e put onto a hard drive
Incorrect, it's completely illegal to do so. Even if you own them completely (which I don't doubt), you can't make a copy of them in any way, shape or form, which includes copying them to your pc, as per the European Union Copyright Directive 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom