Permabanned
Currently I have this:

420W TurboLink PSU
Asus nForce4 mobo
AMD64 3700+ SD CPU
2GB OCZ RAM
XFX 6600GT
80GB SATA HDD

and it all runs fine, CPU overclocked to 2.75GHz without needing to change the voltages at all..

If I were to replace the 6600GT with, for example, a 7800GT, would I be likely to need a new PSU? I am not considering a purchase at least for another 5 months so don't need any "don't get that, get this:" advice, just need a basic yes, no, or "you'd need to try it and see."

Soldato
From a practical point of view I'm guessing your PSU doesn't have the 6-Pin PCI-E power connectors tha the 7800 will need. I know you can get adapters but it looks like these require 2 x 4-pin Molex connections to provide enough power, so have you got enough spare connectors for this?

From an output perspective it would appear that 400w is the minimum reccomended for a single card (SLI needs more) so you should be OK.

Permabanned
OP
PieEater said:
From a practical point of view I'm guessing your PSU doesn't have the 6-Pin PCI-E power connectors tha the 7800 will need. I know you can get adapters but it looks like these require 2 x 4-pin Molex connections to provide enough power, so have you got enough spare connectors for this?

From an output perspective it would appear that 400w is the minimum reccomended for a single card (SLI needs more) so you should be OK.

I think it does have these pins - not entirely positive but there are a few 6 pin adapters that didn't have a place to go when I built it up last month.

If I was buying a new GPU I'd probably buy a new PSU anyhoo. Thanks for input.

Soldato
Baker said:
If I was buying a new GPU I'd probably buy a new PSU anyhoo. Thanks for input.
answered your own question then ;)

but as PieEater said, with high-end graphics cards they often state that a 400w PSU is a bare minimum (if you have a decent kit with it as well).
obviously you dont want to name names about what to buy, but i'd look at getting something around 500w possibly 600w (this would leave room for future upgrades)

Permabanned
OP
nikebee said:
answered your own question then ;)

"Probably," but I want to see what options I have, so I have plenty time to make my decision. I will be getting a large influx of money (harvest time :D) around September, but still want to spend the minimum possible to get more performance. :p

Soldato
Baker said:
I think it does have these pins - not entirely positive
Perhaps you'd best check. The combined rails on this PSU apparently only give about 300w so actually it may well struggle.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom