Help! I think PSU blew my mboard

Associate
Help me please,

My 330W Antec PSU blew up the other day. I replaced the PSU but now the pc won't get to the POST screen.
The monitor works ok and with power to the gcard I can see text ok but the screen just displays processor as 1100Mhz and RAM as 1Gb.

I have an Athlon 2500 Barton and Corsair RAM.

I think the PSU may have blown something on the motherboard. Any ideas?

Soldato
I suppose it's possible that it took something with it, tho blow up is wow...err yes.

I had a MSI Neo2 motherboard that messed up 2 PSUs, and only one had any warranty left :(

No flames smells "blow ups" just dead PSUs when tested like this.

Associate
OP
Black Knight said:
Have you tried resetting to BIOS defaults?

I'm just waiting for a replacement PSU at the moment. I ran a quick test using my other rigs PSU first off.
Resetting to BIOS defaults is a good idea. I'll try that as soon as the new PSU arrives. Can't handle dismantling my other rig again.

thanks for the tip Black Knight.

Associate
OP
Mrchu_ said:
Yeah trying to pull too many volts through a maxed out cheapie psu can blow mainboards.Im not sure what part goes.But its just as well that it wont do you another.

Im an advocate for tagan

That's good to know, I just ordered the Tagan TG430-U15 430W ATX2.01 Easycon SLi Compliant Modular Silent PSU (CA-007-TG)
Should do the trick.
Just need to figure out if I can fix the motherboard, else it's a new mboard as well.

Associate
Have a really close look at the row of capacitors around the cpu socket and see if the tops of them are kinda puffed up into a dome shape,if they are chances are theyre No disguised swearing and a new mobo is required.I have had at least 2 mobos blown by psus and that is one of the telltale signs.

Associate
OP
muckymick said:
Have a really close look at the row of capacitors around the cpu socket and see if the tops of them are kinda puffed up into a dome shape,if they are chances are theyre No disguised swearing and a new mobo is required.I have had at least 2 mobos blown by psus and that is one of the telltale signs.

Thanks for the tip muckymick, i'll check it out now and report back. I'm still waiting for my replacement psu at the moment. Damned supplier is waiting on part.

Nat

Nat

Associate
If there is any sign of damage, definately do not hook up your new PSU to that board or you may end up having to buy a 3rd PSU...

Assuming you haven't got an uber gfx card or loads of drives, the 330w Antec should've coped. The 2 that I've seen burn out (one of them quite literally), didn't take the mobo with 'em... Always a first! ;)

I'm afraid you are also going to need to check your drives, cpu and ram - flakey PSUs can cause havoc.

Associate
OP
Nat said:
If there is any sign of damage, definately do not hook up your new PSU to that board or you may end up having to buy a 3rd PSU...

Assuming you haven't got an uber gfx card or loads of drives, the 330w Antec should've coped. The 2 that I've seen burn out (one of them quite literally), didn't take the mobo with 'em... Always a first! ;)

I'm afraid you are also going to need to check your drives, cpu and ram - flakey PSUs can cause havoc.
That's what I thought Nat. I have will have to test everything when psu arrives on Tue. Fingers crossed.
I used one of those psu power checkers to total up load off system. It was pretty close to limit (331W). CPU was oc'ed and had multiple drives/cards.
hey ho. live and learn.

Associate
the manufactures specs on psu are usually less in real life,than rated.so you would totally have been maxing the poor b***r out.Theyre not built for punishment.Dont forget about taking into account potential upgrade = extra wattage,when buying the new one.I tend to keep psu for years.

Associate
OP
Mrchu_ said:
the manufactures specs on psu are usually less in real life,than rated.so you would totally have been maxing the poor b***r out.Theyre not built for punishment.Dont forget about taking into account potential upgrade = extra wattage,when buying the new one.I tend to keep psu for years.
Thanks for info Mrchu. I'll bear that in mind when tinkering next time.

I have just fitted my new tagan 430W U15 powersupply and after resetting my mboard bios it worked. Great.

I was really impressed with the tagan. Wish I'd bought one of those instead of the hiper 580w for my main rig. Hey ho.

Back
Top Bottom