motivate me to workout!

Soldato
I've got a rowing machine, and some push-up bars and intended to use the rowing machine for at least 15mins every other day. But I haven't used it once!

I want to lose some weight before May, and therefore excercise is needed.

But how can I motivate myself?

Soldato
OP
well i did 4m 39secs!

Feel like death. However, that equates to 108 strokes and only 34.2 calories which is nothing!!!

My biceps cain and have definately gotten larger just by doing that sort amount. Is the tension too high on the cord, or is that usual?

So 34 calories would i not burn off more from a short walk, or even walking to the TV to change the channel, Or is the calorie counter wrong?

Last edited:
Soldato
this kid lost about 2 or 3 stones doing that dance mat his mom bought him, he danced with it on ps2 for like 2 years so far. Showed him doing it in public evryone like WTF!lol

Soldato
rossyl said:
I've got a rowing machine, and some push-up bars and intended to use the rowing machine for at least 15mins every other day. But I haven't used it once!

I want to lose some weight before May, and therefore excercise is needed.

But how can I motivate myself?

Have you tried putting aside a time and treating it like an appointment? 'At 6pm I must be on the rower'. Once you get into it it will become routine and you'll not think about it.

For fitness and to lose weight you'll need to be doing it for at least 20 mins about 5 times a week. You also need to work at a level where you're hot, sweaty, out of breath but aren't working to your full potential so that you can keep this effort up.

Hope that helps. :)

Man of Honour
It is good advice to make sure you set aside time and stick to that, almost no matter what. You can't just slack off because you are feeling a little tired or whatever else may be going on.

I don't know about this 20 minutes lark though, even when I was going on the rowing machines regularly I would do about about 2km which wouldn't even take me anywhere close to 10 minutes(I think it was about 7m35s at best). I wasn't going for weightloss though, just a bit of cardio so maybe pacing it and making it last longer would be better.

Only other advice I would give is to ease yourself into it, don't go flat out right at the start of beginning training because otherwise you may injure yourself and that means you won't continue later on.

Soldato
Train now or get pains and be fat and ugly for life!!!! People will point at you and laugh at your chest, they will treat you like a different type of human being (a freak) bleh bleh. It is true though....the moment you lose some weight and look better people treat you different :S

Soldato
Best way to motivate yourself I have found is dont think about it too much.
I'll give you an example.
I'm going jogging today at around 10pm - with my mentality I'm not going to think about it at all until 10PM and i'm just going to get ready quickly and just do it without thinking.
Now if this had been say only 2 months ago - I would have planned to do this all day and have it running through my head, convincing myself I would go knowingly full-well I wouldnt, when the clock strikes 10 I would say its too late, something good is on tv, its too cold, I can just go for a jog tomorrow, I can't jog tonight I've got a footy match tommorrow and I'd be tired for that.
Moral of the story? dont think about it just do it - we spend soo much time thinking about doing things we could easily do them in the time we think about doing them!

Caporegime
sell it all and goto a gym instead.
the fact its at home doesnt help at all.

dont worry about the calories, your not losing much in terms of calories but it will be doing wonders for your heart and your body.

get yourself a heart monitor, work out your fat burning zone and then train in this area.

no man should have the setting on anything other than MAX on a rower imo (they arent really that restrictive).
set a goal in distance, then do 100m splits, 100m slow then 100m full on, 100m slow, 100m full on, great for you!

most of all tho, sell it all and goto a gym, at home you can say 'maybe after x programme' then its too late.
once you have left your house for the gym your in training mode, it gets done and you get home and relax :]

each time i wipe my face with my hand towel i motivate myself, i use one of my baby boys hooded towels, i know i need to be fit and healthy for him :]

Last edited:
Soldato
Morba said:
no man should have the setting on anything other than MAX on a rower imo (they arent really that restrictive).
I have to agree - rowing is preety easy (this might be subjective as lifting 100kg on chests for some people is preety easy) so you just have to keep at it and it'll be good for you, 15 minutes is a nice time not too long so you dont get bored and not too short to not have an affect.

Back
Top Bottom