Help with choosing new speakers

Soldato
I've been using a set of Logitech X-230 2.1 Speakers, and I'm starting to really outgrow them sound quality wise. They're ok, but now I'm looking for a top notch set of 2.1 (or even surround) speakers to replace them. I would ideally like them to cost under or around £100 and the only ones I'm interested in are the Creative Megaworks 250D. What are your opinions on these, and are there any more attractive speakers with the same (or better) sound quality for around £100? My specs I would like are below if useful

- Around £100 (Can go to £120 if they're extra special)
- Good looking, but will sacrifice looks for quality
- 2.1 Speakers (I will go surround but I assume a 2.1 set at £100, equal a cheap set of 5.1).
- Accept a digital signal
- Sound superb for music (I'm not bothered much by gaming and movie performance)

Thanks for any help

Soldato
Have a search for the Acoustic Energy Aego M's, I've got a set and they are cracking speakers for the price (£99 delivered).

I made the move to them from a set of Altec Lansing 2100's and it was like the move from el cheapo headphones to my Shure E4C in ear monitors (rrp ~£140, got mine for £75). I was able to hear new sounds I couldn't hear before on the Altec's :D

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17491540&highlight=Aego

Neil.

Soldato
OP
-Neil- said:
Have a search for the Acoustic Energy Aego M's, I've got a set and they are cracking speakers for the price (£99 delivered).

I made the move to them from a set of Altec Lansing 2100's and it was like the move from el cheapo headphones to my Shure E4C in ear monitors (rrp ~£140, got mine for £75). I was able to hear new sounds I couldn't hear before on the Altec's :D

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17491540&highlight=Aego

Neil.

Thanks for the advice. I have heard other people say about these speakers aswell. I will have to investigate.

Soldato
OP
:o I think the Aego Ms the speaers for me! They seem great! The only advice I need now is with regards to my setup. I currently have a Audigy 2ZS, and 2.1 X-230 speakers (Analoge). I use iTunes with the sound enhancer up full. My music is encoded in .AAC 320Kbit 44Khz (I love my music to be high-quality). Im going to move to an X-Fi, Aego Ms. Will there be a big difference? And with regards to the digital speakers, does the X-Fi output digitally aswell? And is there different kinds of digital if that makes sense (Ive heard of SPDIF, and on my audigy 2zs theres a port named digital that looks like the regular analoge output)

V F

V F

Soldato
-White-Knight- said:
And is there different kinds of digital if that makes sense (Ive heard of SPDIF, and on my audigy 2zs theres a port named digital that looks like the regular analoge output)

Its still digital SPDIF, Digital Din / (Coaxial)

Associate
Whats the Aego Ms like in the mid range? Most 2.1 sets I've heard (i've not heard the Aego's) are too bass heavy and are poor when you turn the bass down. Big subs travel too far in a house. Though I've read the Aego's are great for the price.

Soldato
OP
Hey good news! I have ordered the Aego Ms! The this week only price was just TO good to pass (darn it :p ). Thanks OcUk for the superb deal. I shall post a personal review when I they have arrived and I have had a chance to play with them ;)

-White-Knight-

Suspended
I am that impressed with the set up I have brought another set to attach to my TV in the living room. I like the quality of sound they offer, they look good and they are definately worth every penny. You would have to spend serious $$$ to get anything that can even touch the sound quality of the AE product.

Soldato
OP
Fatboy said:
I am that impressed with the set up I have brought another set to attach to my TV in the living room. I like the quality of sound they offer, they look good and they are definately worth every penny. You would have to spend serious $$$ to get anything that can even touch the sound quality of the AE product.

That is great news! I cannot wait till they arrive!! Something tells me this week is going to go verrrrry slow :mad: :rolleyes: . Now all I need is an X-Fi and I will have the ultimate PC Sound! :p

Suspended
Funny you shound mention the XFI, I have an Extreme music on my PC and I thought it was good through my Logitech Z2300 Set up, completely different league when you play the XFI through the AE setup. It's like comparing Ribena to Louis 13th

Back
Top Bottom