XBOX 360 and MCE

Associate
Built my Media Centre PC from a Dell Pc I got cheap and have it hidden under my kitchen breakfast bar. Really pleased with it and have it Networked along with my 360 and a laptop. BUT!!!! Tonight I went to watch a Video clip using my 360 as a media extender only to discover that it won't play any of my vids and tells me I need the correct codec. The codecs are installed on my Media Centre Pc and the vids play fine so how am I going to get them to play in my living room through my Xbox? I know I can just recode them using Windows Media Encoder but it's time consuming and why should I? Anyone know a way to get the 360 to either except them or a codec pack?

Soldato
word of warning about this softare mate, its far from flawless and can have serious lipsync issues. I use winavi instead and convert to WM9 format. found it works great. just install the following

FFDSHOW

WM9 encoder for the codecs

WINAVI 2.6 ( stay away from version 3 its buggy as hell )

Soldato
Here's a guide to on the fly Divx conversion on the 360:
http://www.brains-n-brawn.com/default.aspx?vDir=mcedivx360

I haven't tried it yet, but it's been posted about on here a few times.

I also installed Windows Media Center the other day, and it was a bit of a shame to see so many features removed on the 360 extender. I can't even find a way to get music visualisation working.

The online spotlight is good though.

Back
Top Bottom