How much for clutch?

Associate
Got an L reg rover 214sli (Yes I Know! im a student!).

Clutch needs replacing and was wondering what sort of price id be looking at to get it done? And how long should it take the garage to do if I take it in?

Thanks

Soldato
It should take a garage no more than 4 hours to replace the clutch, quite probably less than that. Price wise £50-£90 for a new clutch depending on the make, labour obviously depends on the garage.

Soldato
4 hours?!

I had my clutch done for £125 (2 hours) labour only, (I supplied the clutch - £40 refurbished).

Find your local Mr Clutch.

Soldato
Mike306dt said:
You paid £125 for two hours labour? or £85 for two hours labour? Why would you buy a refurbished clutch?! :confused:

Yes, it's far better than what every other garage quoted me! The 2nd lowest quote I got was £300, and the highest was £350 I think.

The refurbished clutch was £20 cheaper.

Soldato
What were they doing? coating everything they touched in diamond? Maybe I'm well off but for me to have a gearbox and clutch changed my mechanic wants £80 maximum for both jobs. How much was the clutch and for what car?

Soldato
Mike306dt said:
What were they doing? coating everything they touched in diamond? Maybe I'm well off but for me to have a gearbox and clutch changed my mechanic wants £80 maximum for both jobs. How much was the clutch and for what car?

What are you talking about?

I mentioned the price of the clutch in my first post.

Who said I had a gearbox changed?

I bought the car for £450. The clutch needed changing, so I bought the cheapest one because I was going to sell it, (it being the car).

Associate
I would probably have charged about 100 quid plus the clutch (+vat). Takes more than 2 hours, that's for sure (the job doesn't always go right, seized bolts, etc always make the job longer), but you could do it in a morning easy.

Associate
theres an add up in my shop for someone sellin a 214 sli for £450, im mighty tempted as just a cheap run-about to get my ncb up, whats it like to drive etc?

Associate
OP
to be honest it aint a bad car at all, and pretty cheap to run. Thin is this one ive only got for a year as im on placement and it has 120k on the clock. Besides the clutch its going strong though!

Soldato
I never implied you had a gearbox changed.... I'm simply saying that the guy who is doing mine wants less in labour for a gearbox change and clutch.

Caporegime
Enfield said:
What are you talking about?

I mentioned the price of the clutch in my first post.

Who said I had a gearbox changed?

I bought the car for £450. The clutch needed changing, so I bought the cheapest one because I was going to sell it, (it being the car).

Gearbox has to come off to change clutch, so it's no different for the garage to fit an old one or fit a different one.

£125 seems a hell of a lot for 2 hours, but then again the job is quoted at 4 hours.

Soldato
I had my gearbox changed on my 214 before Christmas.

Cost £100 for a new box and £80 fitting. The guy said it took him about 3 hours. Can't complain at that.

Soldato
marcus25 said:
theres an add up in my shop for someone sellin a 214 sli for £450, im mighty tempted as just a cheap run-about to get my ncb up, whats it like to drive etc?

Don't do it! First you'll be saying it's a cheap runabout, and soon you'll be like Tesla, and say it's actually quite a good car :eek: :D

You can do a lot worse than a 214 though. Good performance, comfortable ride, power steering, most of them have electric windows at least... The only thing I don't like about mine is that the clutch can be a bit heavy.

Mine's never skipped a beat either (everybody who's been to a meet with me can shut up right now :rolleyes: :p)

Soldato
I'm gonna pimp the 214 here as my dad has had three of them a while back.

For new drivers, a bit more poke than a 1.0 Fiesta, more comfortable, and most of all lots of second hand parts available from what I've seen.

When I had some inheritance through I wish I'd got a cheap runaround and got some NCB then get something quicker once I'm into a proper career. I can handle the running costs of my Civic but the insurance is a killer.

Ok, I've taken the thread off topic there but oh well :p

Back
Top Bottom