Got our cluster on the BOINC medicine

Man of Honour
I do lots of work with the World Wind Central community and recently we've done some ad-running and fundraising, and purchased 25 el-cheapo $70 1Ghz P3s to process imagery to load in to World Wind.

But...the cluster has idle cycles...soo....you can guess the next bit :D

Joined OcUK & loaded 'em up with BOINC Rosetta@Home earlier today, and:

Total credit 6.10
Recent average credit 38.36
:D

Mmmm, old crappy hardware:

PICT0222.jpg

PICT0230.JPG

Should get the Rosetta@Home OcUK rank up a few places :)

Man of Honour
I note the bare walls. Hope they're not somewhere vulnerable.

Also note the benefit of American power connectors. So much more space-saving than their UK equivalents (I happen to have a six-way adapter myself for when I go travelling over there). Just don't pull too hard - the plugs will fall out. :)

Man of Honour
OP
Hehe, Matt (the dude whose basement we're taking over) had some fun sorting out the electrics and heating...gotta say it's a novel way to install underfloor heating :D

And no, he didn't flip the breaker by being unable to count...honest :p

Be interesting to see how they do....we aim to build up to 100 machines over time :D

Man of Honour
Beansprout said:
And no, he didn't flip the breaker by being unable to count...honest :p
Yeah, right, like I'm going to believe that. :p

We had enough trouble with a dedicated machine room full of hardware tripping out the breakers. You need slow tripping breakers for machine rooms so they don't freak out from the surge current triggered by all that hardware turning on at the same time. Though I'm guessing in this case it was an overload trip, plain and simple. :)

Man of Honour
Beansprout said:
And turning on at the same time :eek: I will not take such insolence, Adam is running this op
Reboots are not the problem. It's power-on that causes the surge, so you're fine until the next powercut (or breaker trip). Adam may be clever, but I doubt even he (or his scripts) can manage telekinesis. :p

Could use an APC remote power switch of course, but that would be ever so slight overkill

Man of Honour
OP
:D Electrics are setup by an electrician brother dude, who if he is as insane as Matt should be reasonably safe :D

The major thing will be installing a cooling system....gotta get a cheap VESDA setup:eek:

Back
Top Bottom