Threshold (Sky One series)

Associate
Well the season has just ended, and according to TV Times... that's the end of all of it :( The series has been cancelled.

Apart from enjoying the much deserved return of Brent Spiner to TV I was really enjoying the plot of the program. The fact that the program ended on a major cliffhanger just rubs salt into the wound. Why did they cancel it :confused:

Am I alone in loving this series or have American TV execs screwed up again like they did with Family Guy and Futurama.

Man of Honour
Just American TV execs again probably. They seem to like killing off anything vaguely sci-fi now (Futurama included). I'm surprised Battlestar Galactica and Stargate SG-1/Atlantis have survived the knife. :(

Didn't really get along with Threshold myself. Not my kinda thing. Having said that, I intended to catch the finale and forgot, so I'll just have to make sure I catch the repeat.

Soldato
yup heard it was canned I just didnt bother watching the last 2 eps after that.....

had some promise that show bet datas not pleased either.... theres a few other odd shows about like invasion and some other similar stuff too but dunno if its any good.

Seems theres not much left in sci-fi, there either concentrating on making gripping/action shows like 24 or Lost... and Treks dead only SG1/Atlantis and BSG are about.

Its either that or just more Reality shows taking over...

Man of Honour
HighlandeR said:
just more Reality shows taking over...
Sad but true I'm afraid. I guess I'm in the minority when saying I think (almost) all reality shows suck. Mind you, I watch a hell of a lot less TV now than I used to (these forums take all the blame for that).

Even Americans will tell you that most American TV sucks. :(

Associate
OP
HighlandeR said:
yup heard it was canned I just didnt bother watching the last 2 eps after that.....

had some promise that show bet datas not pleased either.... theres a few other odd shows about like invasion and some other similar stuff too but dunno if its any good.

Seems theres not much left in sci-fi, there either concentrating on making gripping/action shows like 24 or Lost... and Treks dead only SG1/Atlantis and BSG are about.

Its either that or just more Reality shows taking over...

Couldn't get into Invasion myself, although I gave it a fair go. Threshold had something that really caught my interest. *sigh*

I hope they reconsider.

Soldato
They did it with Farscape and that came back with a mini series. It all boils down 2 its fan base and whether there are enough fans out there 2 justify it. Pity about the series though as it initially got off 2 a good start. It did start 2 decline slightly after about episode 4.

Associate
I've just been sitting here web searching and its has def been cancelled :(

They moved the time slot and the ratings went down so it got canned - tiny rumours of Sky picking it up and funding it the same as they did with Battlestar but they are few and far between to pay too much notice to

You have to remember that if America doesn't like it obviously no one else will either :rolleyes:

Ben

Ben

Associate
Berserker said:
I'm surprised Battlestar Galactica and Stargate SG-1/Atlantis have survived the knife. :(

Sci-Fi (US) would probably lose a fair chunk of its viewers if it canned all 3. I think they probably dominate the Friday Night viewers.

I think the other issue with the US (from what I've heard), is their advertisement of programs isn't all that great. The UK on the otherhand seems to have this nailed. We know about the new series of 24 is coming in Feb, we also know about Bones. The new series of Battlestar was advertised in advance.
We knew about Threshold for about a month in advance (I remember the "Have you seen the sign?" ad being show a lot).
Also I think added to that the shows are usually repeated at least once in the week on a different day (don't think the US do this).

Oh and yes, I am a fan of Threshold, knew about its cancellation in November (when Sky One had started to air it). Carried on watching because I wanted to see where it went, and to see if I'd see any reason to cancel it, and I can't really think of any!

Soldato
Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis will live on - they're big shows and do well in the states and canada from what I have heard. Battlestar Galactica is doing quite well too I believe and I think a lot of the old hardcore classic BSG fans like it so I reckon it'll stick around for a while.

As for Threshold, it would be a shame if it is cancelled indefinately. I haven't followed it religiously like I have Stargate and BSG but it is pretty good. I reckon it will be back sooner or later.

It really is a shame that some quality programming is under threat because tasteless execs would rather show "reality" tv.

Luckily it is only a fad and will go away. Take a look at DIY programs. Yes you still see a few around, but they're not on every channel 17 times a week anymore.

SiriusB

Associate
SiriusB said:
It really is a shame that some quality programming is under threat because tasteless execs would rather show "reality" tv.
You mean show programs which actually get viewers rather than shows which will deteriate into an esoteric cult viewing?

I can't tell you how annoyed I am at Arrested Development being cancelled (well no longer on Fox schedule after February 10th) but from Fox's point of view its the greatest thing ever, that timeslot now gets 93% higher ratings than Arrested Development..

It's replacement.....

Skating with Celebrities...

Market forces at work here.

When shows become "cult" viewing, then they seem to die as they alienate near enough everyone, only exception seems to be ABC at the moment which concentrates hardcore on a few programs (Desperate Housewives / Lost / Commander in Chief)...

(Queue people who come in and say Americans are too retarded to get it, half the jokes in Arrested Development are only funny if you've seen earlier episodes, I laughed hysterically when I saw a note on a fridge saying "I've finished the milk - will go buy some" :/)

Associate
it's a shame because i really enjoyed it, but i think what happened was in america threshold was up against desperate housewives, and in which case the ratings were not what they had hoped and decided to cancel.... but feel lucky viewers in America never saw the whole series as it was canceled after 10 episodes... We got to see all 14!!

Associate
The US Sci-Fi channel is on cable, which requires less viewing figures for its programs, so Battlestar Galactica and the Stargates are both big hits for the channel, but would have been cancelled after only a few episodes if they had been on network TV which usually demands instant success. A shame really; at least in this country programs tend to complete their runs even if they get shifted to silly times due to low viewing figures.

Soldato
I never really watched any Threshold as it was cancelled after a few episodes were shown on Sky if I remember correctly, so I didn't bother with it. It was like Jake 2.0 in a way as Sky were just starting to show that when it was cancelled in the US.

For those that don't know Futurama is coming back in four new straight-to-DVD movies. Rumour is they're seeing how well they do before possible TV return.

Oh and if anyone cares it looks like season 8 will be the last season of Charmed as the main cast haven't renewed their contracts for another.

Back
Top Bottom