Check this spec please

Associate
I'm upgrading my old socket-A system, keeping the case, PSU, hard drives etc so thinking of the following:

Asus A8N5X nForce4 (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-120-AS) - £61.04
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 90nm (Socket 939) - Retail (ADA3700BNBOX) (CP-121-AM) - £159.74
OcUK Value 2GB (2x1GB) PC3200 184pin DDR Memory Dual Channel Kit (MY-006-OK) - £111.57
Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro CPU Cooler (Socket 754/939/940) (FG-000-AR) - £17.57
Leadtek GeForce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-069-LT) - £205.57

Total - £555.49 (all prices incl VAT)

I picked the mobo simply because it's the cheapest nForce4 one I could find.
The CPU is supposed to be a good overclocker - the mobo and RAM suitable?

Cheers.

kbc

kbc

Associate
chrismox said:
...and will my current 430w PSU be sufficient?

Depending on the brand and the PSUs voltage rails, it should be sufficient. Though upgrading to a more powerful PSU may well be a consideration.

kbc

kbc

Associate
chrismox said:
Thanks, any thoughts on the mobo/ram/cpu combo?

Hmm... with regard to the motherboard, you could always go for the next one up, the nForce 4 Ultra by ASUS again, which has added support for SATA-II, if you decide to go for a SATA-II hard disk bearing in mind it says "ATX v2.0 compliant PSU Required for PCI-E Graphics/Motherboard". The CPU does clock well as spoken by many people here at OcUK, but a good clocker goes well with DFI boards, though they might be a bit out of budget. Have an ASUS myself and I'm pretty sure whichever ASUS board you get, it would be pretty reliable. :)

Regarding the RAM, try to go for the GeIL Value stuff, heard better reviews regarding those than the OcUK stuff. It's more popular too and only an extra £10 if I recall correctly.

Associate
OP
So the cheaper Asus board has no SATA support? Didn't realise that.

I have an Epox EP-9NPA+ in another PC which seems to have done me proud (although it is not overclocked). Any significant difference between the 2 brands?

The RAM tip is much appreciated.

kbc

kbc

Associate
chrismox said:
So the cheaper Asus board has no SATA support? Didn't realise that.

It does have SATA support, not SATA-II, this may not be an important factor anyway if you don't intend to utilise the SATA-II interface.

chrismox said:
I have an Epox EP-9NPA+ in another PC which seems to have done me proud (although it is not overclocked). Any significant difference between the 2 brands?

Not so sure with Epox motherboards, but I've heard they clock well with a decent CPU operating alongside it. They're second to DFI I believe with less emphasis on bursting the piggy bank. :) ASUS are reliable from my experience, they do provide the capabilities for overclocking but perhaps less features as the other 2 boards mentioned. But a bit of research may clarify things further for you.

Back
Top Bottom