iPod Video Q’s Before I finally purchase…

Soldato
Hi guys,

I’ve been researching iPod’s for a while now and I’ve finally decided to get me one to replace my faithful old Sony mp3 CD player :)

I can’t make up my mind yet though whether I should get a 30 or 60GB Video version?

Atm, I have a 15GB mp3 collection, and although it’s ever expanding, I can’t see it expanding beyond the realms of a 30GB iPods capacity, not for a while at least :D

I just have a couple of quick question answered to finally make up my mind once and for all which model to get?

It’s not really that important but, is there any kind of equaliser on board that you can alter? Bass/treble levels etc? My knowledge/judgement of iPod’s is completely based on the content of this forum – as hard as it is to believe, I don’t know anyone with an iPod (Should I read into that a bit more..?) so I don’t know the small funtion details?

On the video front I’d like to put quite a lot of content on for when I’m travelling; what size would a 2hr film be for example? Roughly? This is probably the real deal-breaker tbh :)

Cheers,

SW.

Caporegime
I can answer your first question about bass and treble...sadly the ipod doesnt allow u to change them independantly...the only thing i dont like about my ipod. But saying that you have quite a few preset eqs for most types of music...

Saying that i do love my 30gb ipod though...very nice and slim :D

Suspended
sam.wheale said:
I just have a couple of quick question answered to finally make up my mind once and for all which model to get?

It’s not really that important but, is there any kind of equaliser on board that you can alter? Bass/treble levels etc? My knowledge/judgement of iPod’s is completely based on the content of this forum – as hard as it is to believe, I don’t know anyone with an iPod (Should I read into that a bit more..?) so I don’t know the small funtion details?

On the video front I’d like to put quite a lot of content on for when I’m travelling; what size would a 2hr film be for example? Roughly? This is probably the real deal-breaker tbh :)

Well I have the 60Ggig Video iPod in black.

#1. There is an inbuilt equaliser within the settings submenu. So as I look at mine now for you I find things along the lines of...Rock, Latin, R&B, Jazz, Small Speakers, Spoken Word, Treble booster/ Reducer, Acoustic Bass Booster/ Reducer, etc.... But as you can tell they are only settings not a customiseable one as it seems you want.

#2. On the video way of things I can't help you really. I have 2 song videos that I got just to try out really. I don't use the video fuction. You can output this though to a tv screen or somthing if you travel a lot as the screen would get annoying to watch things on after a while I think.
You have to compress and encode the files into mp4, mov or....emmm forgotten the other format. You will be able to find that on the Apple website.

You'll have to convert and decode a film to find out really. Depends how much you compress/ quality wise.

Associate
I've converted a number of videos for the iPod, settings below are either 320x240/1500kbps/stereo 128 kbps or 320x176/H264/768kbps/128kbps stereo depending on the aspect ratio of the source. Video playback on the iPod is very good, I prefer it to my PSP even if the screen is smaller. I use 3GP and videora to convert from whatever format to mp4.

The 26 minute TV shows I've converted come in at around 160MB - 220MB
A 2hr or so film can be anything from 600MB - 900MB depending on the content

There is a TV out function that's been mentioned already, and 3GP offers a resolution higher than the iPod's display (it does however playback the video with no problems so must downsize for the screen), of 544x416/2Mbps. A 2 hr movie at this res took up 2GB of space on my iPod but looks better on TV than one sized to fit the iPods screen.

Associate
i think its great in all aspects, i have the 30Gb version, and at the moment i have 98 video podcasts (1.42 GBs) 50 episodes of family guy (6.85 GB) 14 episodes of little britain (2.46 GB) 6 episodes of Phoenix Nights (917 MB) and 1062 Songs (4.3 GB)

which roughly comes to 16 GB's and i've still got about 12 GB's left to, fill, you can get a lot of stuff on the 30 GB, so save £100 and get the 30, only problem i find is the battery life, can only really watch about an hours worth of video. but i think its a fantastic piece of kit :)

edit - all of the videos i converted were in MPEG-4/320x240/758kbps Stereo/128kbps

Soldato
OP
Cheers guys!

A 30 GB is now on its way :D

I think I'm going to start converting my vids now?

Can anyone recommend me a skin? I hear the Evo3's are pretty good? I want protection after hearing all these 'scratch stories.'

Any other recommendations are welcome :)

Thanks,

SW.

Associate
I have an Evo3. It's a good protective case but has a few drawbacks in my opinion. The opening at the top for the earphone connector is too small, I had to cut it open to allow my video out cable to connect properly. In addition it's a pain having to mess about with the case putting it back together after removing the iPod from it. I take the ipod out of the case regularly to use it with an i-Station. If you have no intention of inserting/removing the iPod from the case then the Evo3 could be a very good option.

I got a Radtech case from the US, and find it far more suitable. It's not as thick, bulky or heavy and the iPod is easilly removed from it when required.

Soldato
OP
Sorry guys, as you may have gathered, I'm an iPod amature :)

...What's an iStation? And do I need one?

I've just been looking on the Radtech site; the skins look great and they're very reasonably priced?
Unless I get another Customs charge :eek:

I might just get a Evo3 for the easy availablity? I'm finding them for about £24.00 delivered is this about right :rolleyes:

Email: [email protected]

Also, do either skins allow for an arm strap? I intend to use my iPod at the gym, and I don't fancy leaving it in my pocket...?

Thanks,

SW.

Caporegime
The istation is for playing the ipod in your home without the headphones...its like a docking station with built in speaker...dont really need it unless you want to buy one.

I dont know about the radtech cases but the evo3 has a plastic belt clip on the back of the case, its rotatable so you can have the ipod vertically or horizontally etc. So no the evo3 doesnt allow for an arm strap as far as im aware.

Associate
I never got hit with any fees from customs when I imported my radtech case, I got a couple of the lens cloths with it as well. It was delivered 4 days after I ordered it. I don't know if the radtech cases can be used with an arm strap, maybe e-mail them and ask ?

I use the i-station at work, turns the ipod into a mini stereo :)

Back
Top Bottom