Board for Opteron

Associate
Hi,

I am looking to buy a board in the next month. Does anyone know a decent board for an Opteron 146 I am thinking of having?

I am a little confused if I would need to buy Registered memory too, wouldnt my HyperX do?

Any help would eb great just to clear this up for me.

Matt

Soldato
DizzyEgg said:
Does anyone know a decent board for an Opteron 146 I am thinking of having?
Hi,

I was in the same position as you a few weeks ago, that is wanting a new 939 mobo to run an Opteron. After a few days reading and posting questions I got down to either a DFI board or an ASUS board.

I download both the manuals (.pdf) from the manufacturers web sites and had a good read.

After reading the manuals, and looking at the boards layouts I went for the ASUS A8N-SLI Premium. Been running it two weeks now and so far I am impressed!

1925-1.jpg

All socket 939 Opterons use regular DDR memory, it is the (SMP) 940 Opterons that need special registered memory!

Just to say that it was a close thing for me choosing between the DFI and ASUS boards, from all I have read it seems the DFI board is able to overclock a bit better but I took a look at some screenshots of the DFI Memory-settings page in BIOS and it scared me! :)

The ASUS board is top-notch, has a silent heatpipe cooling system for the chipset and mosfets (which works well) 2 spaced-out PCI-express slots should u ever decide to play with SLI and a damn fine layout.

Oh and btw if u need a nice cooler to go with this board. . .

si1201.jpg

Associate
OP
Thanks for you reply, well maybe I should explain my situation a little more.

I am looking to build a machine for me to game on. I want this machine be powerful enough to play the latest games with a decent FPS and I want the best bang for buck.

A friend of mine has an Opteron 146 and said he has clocked it to FX speeds, now this to me is what I mean with bang to buck.

So I decided that Opteron is the way to go for me.

Im glad I can use any old memory, cause I got a GIG of HyperX im sure I could use.

I have never overclocked but would like to start, so I think I will be going with the Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe nForce4 SLi too. I want SLI as I am getting a 7800GT (cant afford the GTX) and would like to update it to SLI when I get the money.

My Budget for Mobo and CPU is about 250, will my HyperX PC3200 be ok to overclock with or will I have to get faster RAM. I am looking to overclock the system the maximum I can on air, oh and I am new to overclocking.

Also the system will be mainly for games, would I be best with a Ath64 3700 or an Opteron?

Thanks

Matt

Soldato
For outright potential the Opteron would be the better purchase.

They are thin on the ground these days though, particulrly ones with good stepping.

Members Market is the best place to pick one up, secondhand, as I did. :)

Back
Top Bottom