Racks?

Associate
OK, after receiving my nice shiny new Atacama Equinox rack id like to know other psoples views as to whether a rack can improve the sound? I myself bought it because it looked very nice and matched the rest of my kit. Also show sit off really well :d.

But I have noticed that the bass is much improved. I can actually feel it through the floor now. The speakers etc are all in the same position. Only the rack changed from cheapo sideboard thing made of wood and was about to fall down.

I was a skeptic now im a convert, it wasnt even a minor thing that I thought it would be and not noticeable during listening. But most definitely an improvement that so far has increased my enjoyment of my music.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I've definitely heard racks make a difference to the sound from a system. Whether it's better seems to be down to personal taste.
Good to hear you're getting on with your atacama unit, any pics?

Soldato
A few years back I got a sound organisation rack, a 560 or something I think. I'm convinced that when I got it the sound was vastly improved, but then again I also got some atacama SE24 speaker stands at the same time, which may have had an effect on the sound too :)

One of the main reasons for getting it was that I just wanted something with 5 shelves so that each piece of equipment could have it's own shelf rather than sitting on top of each other.

Associate
I'd be interested in a scientific explanation as to how the surface that a hi-fi is sitting on can directly effect the sound waves that come out of the speakers.
Do any hi-fi reviews ever compare equipment using an oscilloscope to compare the differences?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Ugley_Matt said:
I'd be interested in a scientific explanation as to how the surface that a hi-fi is sitting on can directly effect the sound waves that come out of the speakers.
Do any hi-fi reviews ever compare equipment using an oscilloscope to compare the differences?

The explanations I've read about is that items like transisters, capacitors and the like are microphonic, and that when they are shaken around by vibration, that it affects their electronic properties a very small amount. That change is enough to make a stereo sound different.
There really is something in this, as stands can make a difference.
I recently heard a set of "stillpoints", which were the most noticeable mechnical isolation piece of kit I've heard.
Picture a pyramid, roughly 3 inches diameter. At the top of the pyramid is a single ball bearing, resting on a set of several ball bearings which make up the next layer down. In other words, the CD player sat on top is floating on a surface that has no vertical compliance, but plenty of horizontal.
Again, I'm not really sure why they work, but on the system I heard them in, there was a dramatic change of presentation, cleaning up a slightly "sludgy" bass and better defining instruments within the mix.

Back
Top Bottom