Interviews, new suit and tan!?

Associate
The question is. . . do you really want to work for a company that wont emply you because your suit isn't up to scratch? Unless they are idiots they will see straight through your presentation if you are not good enough for the job. . .

Associate
Lagz said:
The question is. . . do you really want to work for a company that wont emply you because your suit isn't up to scratch? Unless they are idiots they will see straight through your presentation if you are not good enough for the job. . .

No harm in potentially giving yourself yourself an edge over an otherwise equally as suitable candidate though is there?

Wise Guy
Permabanned
Lagz said:
There's more than one way to look at that, though.

The other way is that I've rejected candidates at interview because they've shown up looking scruffy, or even just a bit worn round the edges. If someone can't be bothered to make the effort for an interview, what does it say about their likely dress standards for work and even their general attitude? Now, maybe that means you'd not want to work for me, but if so and if dress standards aren't important to you, then at least we have a mutual agreement .... because I wouldn't want you either. :D On the other hand, if you want the job ...... ;)

If the job is back office, it may not matter. If they are a manual worker (say an electrician or plumber) then I wouldn't expect a designer suit .... or even an M&S one. If, on the other hand, the job was customer-facing, then appearance can be important. In fact, it can be crucial, because some clients see it as lacking in interest or standards too.

Soldato
Sequoia said:
The other way is that I've rejected candidates at interview because they've shown up looking scruffy, or even just a bit worn round the edges. If someone can't be bothered to make the effort for an interview, what does it say about their likely dress standards for work and even their general attitude? Now, maybe that means you'd not want to work for me, but if so and if dress standards aren't important to you, then at least we have a mutual agreement .... because I wouldn't want you either. :D On the other hand, if you want the job ...... ;)
Definitely. That's what I'd expect in an interview to be honest, I think it's quite right an employer would turn someone down because they looked scruffy or like they couldn't be bothered in their interview. Maybe you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but in an interview situation that's not true at all. It's up the prospective employee to present himself in a way that promotes him - makes him appear the best for the job. The look is part of that.

Arcade Fire said:
It's a really, really big knot.

Windsor knot is the way to go, I think. The 'school tie' knot just looks amateur!

Ok then, good. Because I ain't giving up the Windsor knot for anyone.

[to self]knot for anyone, lollerz.[/to self]

Wise Guy
Permabanned
Mohinder said:
.... It's up the prospective employee to present himself in a way that promotes him - makes him appear the best for the job. The look is part of that.
Yup. A sharp suit isn't going to be enough to get someone a job. They have to demonstrate much more than that. But not making the effort for an interview might be enough to lose them the job (assuming there were other suitable candidates). Why go for a job if you aren't bothered enough about it to be prepared to maximise your chances?

Soldato
If you can afford it get a decent suit, a white or blue 100% cotton shirt and a decent silk tie that isn't too garish. Wear black leather shoes and cotton socks, a reasonable hair cut and clean-shaven. Don't listen to anyone who says you should wear the latest "fashionable" colours because generally speaking, the people who will be interviewing you are probably not going to be impressed as they almost invariably will be older and less concerned if not completely ignorant of the latest fashion.

It's worth spending some money on a decent set of clothes as you will most likely be wearing them a lot so you may as well be comfortable. IMO all those "polyester mix" shirts should be banned because of the discomfort they cause.

Regarding suit, M&S do great ones. I have a Paul Smith myself and TBH I prefer the M&S ones. Having said that I quite fancy trying one of those tailored suits where you get fitted at a local hotel and your suit is made to order in Hong Kong and shipped to you for less than a top brand off the peg suit:

http://www.raja-fashions.com/

Soldato
phykell said:
If you can afford it get a decent suit, a white or blue 100% cotton shirt and a decent silk tie that isn't too garish. Wear black leather shoes and cotton socks, a reasonable hair cut and clean-shaven. Don't listen to anyone who says you should wear the latest "fashionable" colours because generally speaking, the people who will be interviewing you are probably not going to be impressed as they almost invariably will be older and less concerned if not completely ignorant of the latest fashion.

I totally agree with this. When I'm interviewing I'm not trying to find out if they're a fasion guru, but I do expect them to be smartly dressed and the points made above are what I look for when interviewing.

Oh, when you're in the interview, eye contact is extrememly important and whatever you do, if you're asked what your biggest flaw is, don't say that you're a workaholic (or words to that effect).

Associate
there is a shop called tk maxx - its a bit of a jumble sale but for £100 you can get a very nice designer suite if you look around.

Soldato
Lagz said:

But it's all about playing the game, if your not willing to play it then don't expect to get very far.

And yes, a footballers knot is a HUUUUUUUUUUGE knot that looks awful!

Half windsor for the win TBH!

Associate
Mohinder said:
That's all well and good, but I've never been asked to provide my on seat at an interview.

if you are going to be pedantic about spelling and typos, then please get your own house in order first. nothing worse than a smart arse :rolleyes:

Soldato
I like the idea of plain black suit, black tie, black shoes, white shirt. Very plain and simple yet clean and formal. I guess it just suits me but thats what I'll be doing for my interviews.

I guess the occassional change of shirt colour can be nice. But I like that formal plain look.

Caporegime
each time i go for a new suit the bloke asks the reason for purchase, each time i have mentioned interview he has said dark blue is classic aswell as different from the barage of pinstripe suited applicants.

Your going for grad places in big companies, look as good as you can.

As for the tan, no harm in a couple of sessions, you constantly hear people saying 'you look healthy' with a light tan, just dont go overboard :]

Back
Top Bottom