Vauxhall astra alternative

Associate
I've posted loads of threads before about a new car, and still i have my 1995 1.4 8v astra. Paying so much for the insurance that i can't save up for another car, so im going to stop the insurance and save up for a new car in the summer. I liked the astra, yea the 1.4 8v are really slow, but i learned everything i needed to know about them, and they were easy to fix and reliable.

So i was thinking of going for a mk4 astra, 1.6 16v, give me alternatives, cars need to be around £2500.

Soldato
Saxo vtr, cheap to repair fairly economical and not to bad insurnace. :)

1999 CITROEN SAXO 1.6i VTR 3dr Hatchback, 46,000 miles, Black, 46k, 1 owner from new, Full Service History, Toad alarm, remote central locking, electric windows, alloy wheels, Sunroof, T&T, excellent . . . . (private)
£2,500
20miles

Last edited:
Associate
OP
What is 'Climate pack'?

I did think of the saxo VTR, but i prefer the medium sized cars, and i also am wary of the image of it. In my area it would become a possible target to be stolen also.

Soldato
cyborg said:
What is 'Climate pack'?

I did think of the saxo VTR, but i prefer the medium sized cars, and i also am wary of the image of it. In my area it would become a possible target to be stolen also.

Ah ok cool, you will get a newer one with less milage etc than the focus, but i can see the size and image issues. :(

Soldato
cyborg said:
What is 'Climate pack'?

Climate pack has air con, heated front windscreen, heated washer jets and heated mirrors.

Soldato
You will get more Astra for your money as the Focus holds onto its value far better

£2500 should get you a '99 car with sensible mileage

Don't get the 1.6 8v Astra though - it's awful. 15bhp less than the 1.4 16V, thirstier, rougher engine, slower - it's not worth it

The Focus is a nice car. You could also look at a Leon/Golf/Almera (!)/Corolla (!)/Megane/Xsara/306/Bravo/Brava/Civic

IMHO the best are the Focus and Astra

Soldato
1.6 16v Mitsubishi Colt, for 2.5k you can get the mirage version with side skirts and front splitter, just something a bit different to think about. Not the fastest 1.6's around but good looking and reliable, insurance is pretty good too :)

Associate
OP
I really like the xsara 1.6VTR (cheaper on insurance. However it only seems like the facelift model of the VTR has the 0-60 below 10 seconds, if i am to believe parkers, and these seem to be hard to get for that price range.

I also like how the colt looks, but then, its a Mitsubishi, doesn't that mean expensive parts?

I just can't see myself driving a focus, or Astra again, id rather not have one, I'd like to drive down the street and people recognize my car because its at least a little unique.

I think i will wait untill a nice VTR comes up for sale, whats the interior like on these cars, hard to find pics of it.

Soldato
cyborg said:
I just can't see myself driving a focus, or Astra again, id rather not have one, I'd like to drive down the street and people recognize my car because its at least a little unique.

Perodua Nippa?

Associate
How about a 1.6 astra? There is a big difference in power betweent the 1.4 and 1.6. Or do what my mate did with his 1.4 Astra - he fitted a 156bhp 2.0 16v engine and it shifts now (although insurance would not be good!). Have a look at the link in my signature for more Vauxhall related crap. :)

Associate
OP
MikeWarner said:
How about a 1.6 astra? There is a big difference in power betweent the 1.4 and 1.6. Or do what my mate did with his 1.4 Astra - he fitted a 156bhp 2.0 16v engine and it shifts now (although insurance would not be good!). Have a look at the link in my signature for more Vauxhall related crap. :)

I fitted a 2.0 8v with 130bhp, and the f16 gearbox, but, the brakes for some reason screwed up, and even after changing absoloutly everything, still didn't work right, so i gave up on it, too high insurance anyway. After the amount of trouble i had with it, and the amount of work i put into it, my confidence for working on cars is shattered.

that Perodua Nippa is one ugly mofo.

Back
Top Bottom