x-fi and fps boost

Associate
Im having a few sound probs in BF2 and thinking of using it as an excuse to junk my audigy 2zs and get a x-fi fatal1ty sound card, I was wondering if anyone noticed a boost in fps by adding an x-fi to their rig, one of the selling points is supposed to be increased fps in current games because of the on board ram included on the card, is this true??

thanks

Associate
Is there much of a different between the normal X-Fi music & X-Fi Fatal1ty versions? With the latter being more than twice the price, would be good to know as I have heard conflicting views depending on who you ask.

Associate
i have sound probs in BF2 as well. Hard to explain really, it starts off ok and then there's like a high pitched interference sound. Very strange

Also running an Audigy 2.

Permabanned
....And that all important 64mb of "X-Ram" that no-one is sure if it will make
any difference or not. :(

I am swaying towards the Extreme Music as I dont think I would use the
Breakout box connections or the remote.

Although it would be nicer looking to have the breakout box..is it worth
£70.00 ?

PS has anyone tested both cards on the same rig on BF2 to see if there is
any difference with the increased RAM on the Fatality ?

Associate
Your probably right there. I dont need no breakout box as I wouldnt be using it at all to warrant it taking up more space, but will be nice to hear the difference. How much of a difference will I notice from my current Audigy 2 ZS?

Associate
i upgraded from an audigy 2 and the sound diference is very easy to spot, so crisp and clear..... what speakers ya got? dont get fatal1ty, there is no game which supports the x-ram and prolley never will. definatly no diference in bf2.

it's definatly worth the money to upgrade to extreme music though.

Soldato
well i was thinking of the fatality though as i play a lot of piano, and would like to use of being able to connect the MIDI inputs into my PC and out. I know its a lot more, but for some it is a usefull addition gaining the midi inputs. The remote though wont be usefull i think.

Soldato
I fully agree, but they have you over a barrel if you want the midi function etc. Shame you cant buy the extreme now and then the breakout box at and when you need it. I believe that WOULD be a better solution.

Associate
OP
fragster said:
i have sound probs in BF2 as well. Hard to explain really, it starts off ok and then there's like a high pitched interference sound. Very strange

Also running an Audigy 2.

Yeah thats it, after the high pitched sound has finised I loose the sound of my gun fire if the sound is set to hardware on the sound option menu, if set to software I still get the scretching sound but after it settles down all the sound is ok,
Thing is its only started doing it from last week its been fine for 4 months :confused: I havnt added any hard ware or installed any apps so why has it gone like this,, thought the card had just failed

Is it true then that the 64mb ram on the fatal1ty is useless?? I thought it took a certain load off the cpu so you get faster fps, thats what the pc mags said anyway??

Associate
Hi Turtle3,
The exact same thing started happening to me about 2/3 days ago. High pitch noise (a bit like a dail-up modem) then my gun noise would stop working in BF2.

I have a 'Audigy 4' sound card, onl got it for xmas. I did try a XFI-Extreme but had to take it back because of the stuttering issues in BF2 (I have an nFoce4 mobo and we all know about the issues with theses and the XFI cards).

Anyway, I fiexed the sound problem in BF2 by reducing the overclock on my GTX's. I ran the Coolbits auto detect and it set my cards to 490/1300, which turned out to be way too high even though I didn't get any artifacts in games, I still got the sound problem in BF2. But after reseting the GTX's to stock BF2 is fine!

----

Associate
OP
cpt_damage_1 said:
Hi Turtle3,
The exact same thing started happening to me about 2/3 days ago. High pitch noise (a bit like a dail-up modem) then my gun noise would stop working in BF2.

I have a 'Audigy 4' sound card, onl got it for xmas. I did try a XFI-Extreme but had to take it back because of the stuttering issues in BF2 (I have an nFoce4 mobo and we all know about the issues with theses and the XFI cards).

Anyway, I fiexed the sound problem in BF2 by reducing the overclock on my GTX's. I ran the Coolbits auto detect and it set my cards to 490/1300, which turned out to be way too high even though I didn't get any artifacts in games, I still got the sound problem in BF2. But after reseting the GTX's to stock BF2 is fine!

----

Thanks, thats interesting that you got exastly the same prob at the same time as me, up till then I had been playing BF2 with no problems for 4 months, like you the prob came from nowhere. I have been reading through the creative support forums and the problem points to Punk Buster which does seem to work out IMO as you will find it only happens online and on pb enabled serevers. After connecting to a game in the first 5 secs PB has a conflict with the BF2OpenAL.dll file many people claim a fix by reverting back to a previous BF2OpenAL,dll file, apparantly this file maybe has self auto updated and caused the problem.

Anyway I cant try the fix now as I was reinstalling windows the other day to try and cure the sound prob and now my hard drive has failed, and become corrupted. :( Should be sorted monday so lets see,

Thanks for your reply

Associate
chef said:
well i was thinking of the fatality though as i play a lot of piano, and would like to use of being able to connect the MIDI inputs into my PC and out. I know its a lot more, but for some it is a usefull addition gaining the midi inputs. The remote though wont be usefull i think.

Why not just buy a cheap (£40) USB midi interface?
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/1146

Associate
Apatche64 said:
you just might be able to ;)

You can find links for buying the box separately on Creative's website, but I've not been able to find it anywhere else. And it's bloody expensive and actually cheaper to buy the kit with the box than to buy separately.

And haven't been able to find one on any "auction" sites...

Back
Top Bottom