• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7800GS - So Whos Getting One?

Man of Honour
Available on the site now!

Well i must say the prices arent as bad as i thought, and the specs are also better than i thought, a lot of sites had 370/1000 speeds

but 400/1300 on the xfx makes it very tempting

definatley ordering one of these

:D

hope they clock well too

P.S Does anyone know if any of them have Dual DVI?

Last edited:
Soldato
Just ordered mine. :)

Went for the BFG, lifetime warranty and pre-OC'd was too tempting. Thought the premium for the XFX Extreme edition was a little too much.

Soldato
Tempted, currently on an X800Pro @ stock

The standard XFX is clocked at 375/1200, £235, XFX EE is 440/1300, £270 (+£35) and the BFG is clocked at 400/1250, £240 (+£5)

IMHO the BFG looks to be the best value for money - only £5 more than the standard XFX and only clocked a little slower than the XFX EE

It doesn't look like they have dual DVI unfortunately :(

Was really hoping for that - currently running an X800Pro and a PCI 9250 to drive two TFT monitors (both have one DVI and one analogue out). Was hoping to get rid of the second card

@Tute - out of interest what card did you have before? If it's like 6800nu/6800GT level then I'd be interested to see what performance benefit you get (my card is somewhere between the two in terms of performance)

Man of Honour
OP
yeah only reason stopping me right now is checking if any of them have dual dvi, i've sent a webnote to ask

hope to hear back soon

if not i wont be making the change :/

OcUK Staff
Hi there

These are all as quick if not quicker than a 6800 Ultra. Plus the BFG and XFX EE models should out perform an X850 XT PE as well plus then you can factor in all the SM3.0 technology etc. plus whatever else the 7800 architecture has making these the quickest AGP cards available with plenty of new features too. :)

Soldato
I ordered mine yesterday so looking forward to receiving it soon, though annoyingly could only have it delivered to my home address where it's likely there won't be anyone home... ho hum.

Should be quite a performance increase from the FX5200 I currently have :o)

I've gone for the BFG one btw, the warranty made it very appealing!!!

Valve

Associate
ajgoodfellow said:
If you've gone for RMSD or Courier then you should get it tomorrow. I've ordered later than this and have got next day when I used RMSD

Excellent! I opted for City Link because they usually deliver to work everyday with business stuff so it should get lumped in with everything else

I can't wait :D

Associate
i've got a Golden Sample 6800GT and was wondering what the increase would be from this to the 7800 GS (XFX EE as well)?

Or is it just worth waiting longer to upgrade to a new motherboard and the next generation of cards? (i have a new PSU so that wouldn't be a problem)

Soldato
Steedie said:
yeah only reason stopping me right now is checking if any of them have dual dvi, i've sent a webnote to ask

hope to hear back soon

if not i wont be making the change :/

Asrock dual + 7800GT = faster and the same price...dual dvi too ;)

Permabanned
Sure it is but its pci-e.

Hmm < im on a Chaintech 6800 ultra 425/1100 stock but running 465/1250 (no artifacts with nv silencer rev 3, need volt mods to get more core and memory mhz, probably hit atleast 475/1300, I dont know if I fancy a crippled card, any ideas if like with 6000 range rivatuner can turn back on disabled features for some "good" cards ?.

BTW the XFX will be the best out all them, the oc version will oc more, I'd bet and you can simple volt mod in bios so far then you need solder mod it.

I remember they used to be a joke manu but since 6000 range they came real good, I'd buy now.

I dont rate BFG and you didnt see outside USA till 6000 series.

BTW my card took from paper launch in april 04 till nov 04 to track down and still cost £410 so that was bad, from Nvidia and ati to have shortage of flagship cards, seems all thats now in past, Im on agp till vista so would buy another agp card if its worth it, cause rest or rig is very highly overclocked and about to buy raptors 150's.

Associate
jazzmonst said:
i've got a Golden Sample 6800GT and was wondering what the increase would be from this to the 7800 GS (XFX EE as well)?

Or is it just worth waiting longer to upgrade to a new motherboard and the next generation of cards? (i have a new PSU so that wouldn't be a problem)

by the looks of it, seems like you will only notice performance gain on resolution higher than 1024x768, maybe 1280x1024 on games, increasing fps... imo, if i had a 6800GS or GT i wouldn't get this, i rather get something a lot better and switch to PCI-E, but for AGP, it's probably the best you can get at the moment...

Soldato
Yeah - it's annoying. I'm on an X800Pro so in a similar situation. Yes it's slower than a 6800GT, but not by much, and if this is only 20% quicker I'm not sure if it's worth the outlay

I'll wait for benchmarks I think. In all honesty my machine is fine at the moment, FEAR taxes it though as does Quake IV when I up it to 4xAA

Permabanned
I dont understand how sites even compare 6000 range of cards to ATI X80/850's the fact is the 6000 range are dx9c /p.s 3.0 / s.m 3.0 with hdr, so may run some games a few fps less but least you see the new games extentions and this is reason some games will be a few fps less, I dont see anyone in the know how wanting to buy a old dx9b card with 2.5+ year old extentions in feb 2006 unless they dont care for games, sure if you own one already you dont need run out buy new gpu but again when X800/850 were new they were still running outdates extenetions as dx9c came with sp2 in aug 2004 and Farcry 1.3 patch was first s.m 3.0 hdr game use.

Soldato
How do these compare against the ATI products like the x850 series? I currently own the x800xl and I might upgrade to the 7800 GS as my last card before Vista comes out. I'm wanting to run games at 1280x1024 and they're a little sluggish on the x800xl.

Back
Top Bottom