Connecting an external hard drive to router

Associate
Is it possible to connect a hard drive to my Netgear DG834G router so that it is available to all connected PCs?

I see that some routers have a USB port (not mine) so I'm assuming the answer is no, just wondered if there was any way around this?

Thanks.

Permabanned
You need a NAS drive, those have network connector so is seen as a IP address. You can't plug in a USB2/Firewire box into a router, unless it specifically allows you do so. Some set top box media players have USB and can access file contents on a USB harddrive when connected.

Associate
OP
Not interested in having a PC turned on to share a drive as this goes against what I'm trying to achieve - the NAS drives (as linked to above) seem perfect for me.

I had come across the Netgear SC101 which seemes perfect but a few searhces seem to suggest that it's plagued with overheating and the need for drivers.

Associate
Which begs the question what are you trying to achieve? Is this a small office or simply just a few machines at home. In which case what does everyone need access to? MP3s?

Associate
OP
I have my HTPC in one room and my main PC in another - just wanted a hard drive connected to the router that I could keep stuff on (music, video etc) without having to keep swapping it between the 2 or permanently having both switched on.

I presume any of the NAS drives that OcUK seel will do the job?

Do these NAS drives appear simply as another drive in "My Computer" or are the files accessed differently somehow?

Soldato
not sure if u could map network drive for NAS drives that u need drivers

but Thecus YES box N2100 is fantastic NAS, support 2 SATA drives (raid o or 1), no driver needed but expensive.

Soldato
Munge - I really would read the forum rules, linking other shops is generally a ticket to a forum holiday even if the shops arent based in the UK.
Friendly suggestion rather than nastiness or snobbery :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Mercutio said:
Munge - I really would read the forum rules, linking other shops is generally a ticket to a forum holiday even if the shops arent based in the UK.

Freecom are the manufacturers of the drives.

Associate
Mercutio said:

As above - thought I was linking to the manufacturer's website?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the link to the freecom stuff.

I don't really want to replace my existing router so I think that the one munge linked to may be overkill - the Classic SL Network Drives appear more suitable I think.

Soldato
Why not have a SFF P.C, put in two 160Gb HDDs in RAID or whatever setup you desire. Then have it on dedicated NAS and stick it in the atic. Go up there like once a every three months and check on it. That way you'll have more flexibilty than an ordinary NAS because you'll have a PC controlling things too.

Back
Top Bottom