• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

148 Opteron owners

Associate
What are they like?
Most people seem to be using the 144 and 146 and are getting mad value for money.
As the 144 and 146 are pretty much impossible to get hold of I was thinking of buying a 148, but I dont know the potential of them.

I could splash out another £35 and get a 165 however I'm not sure if the 165 works with the old shait I play (like q2, CM4 etc) :)

Mobo wise I have been looking at the ASUS A8N-E as it has the features I need and is supposed to be a pretty good clocker?

Any feedback much appreciated as I want to press "ORDER" now :D

Soldato
I don't know this for sure, but I'd think the potential of the 148s isn't that much greater (if any) than the 144 & 146.

At the end of the day they've all got the same core, it's just you're paying more for a multiplier with a higher restriction (x11, vs. x9 & x10 for the 144 & 146 respectively).

Also, I think to get the most out of the Opterons you need a board which will support good high HTTs. I don't know how good Asus is for that, however with the higher multiplier of the 148 this may be less of an issue.

Hav

Caporegime
I would take the 165 over a 148 any day mate, the 148s don't clock any better than the lower models with the same stepping, so their value for money brand new isn't great. The 165 is an awesome chip, they clock really well, will give you great performance in the games you mention, and will be good for everything else too.

Personally I'd get a DFI Ultra-D over the Asus you mention, they're just unbeatable for overclocking.

Soldato
2.90ghz (290x10) @ 1.41v here on a CABYE 0543FPMW Opteron 148. Not benchmark stable @ 3ghz. Not much (or any) higher than a 146 so your choice of the 165 is golden :>

Soldato
Minstadave said:
Personally I'd get a DFI Ultra-D over the Asus you mention, they're just unbeatable for overclocking.
Boo! ;)

ASUS for the win! :p

I liked the desciption of the DFI boards in a recent Custom PC, something along the lines of:

"DFI boards appeal to people who's ideal weekend is spent tinkering in BIOS!"

I reserve final judgement on the subject until I have actually used a DFI board, but so far the ASUS is doing the business!

Caporegime
Big.Wayne said:
Boo! ;)

ASUS for the win! :p

I liked the desciption of the DFI boards in a recent Custom PC, something along the lines of:

"DFI boards appeal to people who's ideal weekend is spent tinkering in BIOS!"

I reserve final judgement on the subject until I have actually used a DFI board, but so far the ASUS is doing the business!

The ASUS Asus A8N32-SLi Deluxe nForce4 SLi X16 is an awesome board and would tempt me if I had the money, but the DFI Ultra-D is the best choice for a beefy overclock on a more modest budget.

VoG

VoG

Soldato
Killajaz said:
Any feedback much appreciated as I want to press "ORDER" now :D

depends what you do with your rig ;)

ive got both a 148 opty and ive just got a 165 opty to replace my ageing northy rig.

my 148 tops out at 3025MHz but gets run at 2900MHz 24/7 in my dedicated gaming rig. the only reason i got a 148 was because i couldn't find 144/146's anywhere ( it was maybe 3/4 months ago )

now first thing i did when i got me 165 was bung it in my gaming rig & give it some stick :D the 165 tops out at 2800MHz & runs at 2700MHz 24/7, but i won't be keeping it in my gaming rig because it's wasted in there.

if all you do is game 'n' surf then the 165 is gonna be wasted, but if you do any kinda serious multi tasking/encoding/photoshop etc, ide say go otpy 165

Man of Honour
If you do find any compatibility problems (unlikely now with the hotfix) then you can either assign CPU affinity so the game runs on one core only, or you can disable one core in Windows. If that really doesn't work then you can edit your boot.ini and disable a core from there.

In other words don't worry about compatibility.

Soldato
have to agree with the others here, i'm quite dissapointed in my 148 i can probably push it to 3ghz with some serious volts but settled back to 2.8ghz and keep temps kool.

Back
Top Bottom