Norton System Works Alternatives

Associate
There is a lot of debate and criticism of Norton in general, so I thought I would look at the alternatives.

I have used Norton for years with no problems and currently have Norton System Works 2003 installed. I have just recently paid around £40 for a further years updates to the Firewall and NAV, which I think is a rip off. I will certainly not pay this next time round.

I am about to set up a new computer and am debating whether or not to cut my losses now and not have the problem of trying to uninstall Norton in about 11 months time.

Sygate, Zone Alarm, AVG and Avast have all been heavily recommended as excellent combinations and free alternatives, however there is much more to Norton System Works than a firewall and antivirus programme. The one button check up is one feature which I think is excellent and I use this regularily to correct system errors and keep things running sweet. There are also many other useful programmes included.

1. Are there also good alternatives to the utilities side of Norton, without installing a dozen different programmes?

2. Can I install Norton System Works 2003 without the Firewall and NAV so that I have the use of the utility side without paying Norton for updates to NAV and NFW and suffering the resource problem with Norton? I can then switch to the free recommended Firewalls and AV programmes which apparently perform better in any case.

Comments appreciated.

Axel

Back
Top Bottom