Essential Ports

Associate
What do people consider to be ports that are essential for web access?

Obviously ports 80 and 8080 but anythign else?

I ask becuase a couple of my housemates are downloading huge files off the net all the time taking up all the bandwidth!!! and my router (which i admin :)) has the ability to block port ranges at certain times of day.

So basically I want them to have e-mail, msn, irc, ftp and net access. Anything else? and which ports?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thus far I have these:

21 FTP (File Transfer Protocol)
22 SSH (Secure Shell)
25 SMTP (Send Mail Transfer Protocol)
80 HTTP (HyperText Transfer Protocol)
110 POP3 (Post Office Protocol, version 3)
443 HTTPS
4000 ICQ
8080 HTTP
6901,6891-6900,1863 MSN Messenger

Any others?

Caporegime
There shouldn't be any SNMP traffic going around, either out onto the internet, or coming in from the internet.
None the less, default SNMP port is 161.

Soldato
eXSBass said:
What is SNMP used for and on what port? Is it important?

SNMP = Simple Network Management Protocol. It used for remote management of SNMP aware devices and also for monitoring SNMP enabled devices. Programs like MRTG use SNMP to query interfaces on a router to come up with graphs and the like.

Soldato
How exactly is your router going to do this? Are you blocking all but your selected ports *outwards*? Remeber, clients make connections to server on these well-known ports so blocking all but those ports *inbound* won't help

If so, what are you blocking incomming? After your clients request a connection to the server, the server will connect back to you on a random port so your firewall must be capable of tracking "established" connections.

Back
Top Bottom