Legitimate copying?

Soldato
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but... just having an arguement with my housemate at the moment about copyrights. If you own a game are you legally allowed to make a single copy of it now for yourself? I thought you used to be able to but they changed the law?

Cheers

Soldato
Jokester said:
Nope, because backing up DVDs that aren't protected by copyright is perfectly legal (though 99% of DVDs you own will likely be copyrighted).

Jokester
ah ic

but a lot of those software sites say something like "this software allows you to backup your entire dvd collection"

bit misleading

Man of Honour
Just because something facilitates crime doesn't make it illegal per se.

I could smash your skull in with a hammer, but that doesn't make hammers illegal, because they have other, legitimate purposes :)

Soldato
yes you can, if they say you can..

deer hunter 2005 copyright states this: "you can make and maintain one copy for backup and archival purposes, provided the original and copy of the software are kept in your possession".

Last edited:
Soldato
i dont even know if that means you can. That's like selling a packet of cigarettes to a 14 year old because the packet says you can. The law may say differently..

U.k, E.U and U.S all state that you can not copy dvd's in any way shape or for for any reason. Thought i dont know what the E.U and U.k laws regarding games are exactly, i know the U.S allows a backup for archival only.

Soldato
i'd like to see them try and screw me for theft if the owner does not see it that he's been stolen from.. they did try such a thing in the US, as they could not find any terrorists HS raided a toy shop (pufferbelly toys) and Rubix destroyed their case.

Associate
what about DVD Decryptor, that purpose is to remove copyright, thats gotta be ilegal now? They no doubt have a disclaimer: this product doesnt not authorise the use of ripping copyrighted material.

Instructions of use: place disc in drive and run DVD Decryptor to remove copyright :)

Back
Top Bottom