360 + MCE = Web browser :)

Associate
Guys & Gals,

Today I installed windows MCE on my PC and used the 360 as a media extender. My 360 is now an absolutely fantastic entertainment centre. I have also found a web browser for it, so can browse this forum from my 360.

Theres all sorts of little plugins that you can get for it; weather, ebay, etc etc. I can also stream HD stuff from my PC to the 360.

Highly recommended :)

xbox2.jpg

xbox.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
chrisstevens said:
I'd have hoped a usb keyboard would be compatible?

Apparantly you can use a keyboard:

From another site: Will the 360 accept a wireless keyboard? It certainly will! I've got my old Logitech Deluxe wireless one connected up, plugged the receiver into the rear USB socket and hid it out of the way, can then operate the 360 perfectly from the settee. Only problem seems to be that the number pad doesn't work, but the numbers on the top row work perfectly.

Associate
You say you can stream HD stuff from your PC, would you be able to verify if it actually streams content held in .avi containers? Like divx and xvid? Or is it only WMP stuff :(?

Caporegime
Chiribo said:
You say you can stream HD stuff from your PC, would you be able to verify if it actually streams content held in .avi containers? Like divx and xvid? Or is it only WMP stuff :(?

WMV, DivX and Xvid are blocked. Though there are guides for streaming. Most people just convert it.

Soldato
i got a wireless keyboard in spare room *** b worth given that a quick look at :D

very nice tho im just so annoyed that MS made it so the smallest amount of people with MCE could use such features where as nearly every 1 owns XP and cant :(

Caporegime
The features are built into MCE and not WindowsXP though. It's also a way of selling an operating system that doesn't sell too well as people would rather purchase windows XP.

Associate
I've just installed that but can't work out how to use the browser!
I understand its a 'home brew' piece of software, but theres precious little documentation, and unless im being VERY thick, I can't even find where to enter a URL..what am I missing?

Back
Top Bottom