RS or NSR...

Soldato
sorry iv dragged this thing for over 3 threads over a space of half a year.
i have enough to buy a bike (nearly)
the debate this time is.. i want a NSR..
BUT i are they more reliable than rs? some people say there just as good. others say NSR is much more reliable and can take abuse? which information is right?

Associate
The NSR is generally considered more reliable than the RS but they are both two stroke and thus less reliable than a four stroke. . . .in this case.

Associate
That isn't 100%, an engine doesn't justify fun, MZ's aren't amazingly more fun than a 4 stroke yet they are still 2 strokes.

Soldato
that all depends on how you ride the MZ ;)

the bloke in the picture is on an MZ 250 that took the mick out of some of the R6's (in fact he did 4 on the day at Snetterton around the outside on a bend ;) ) :D

gazkneedownatsnett(Small).jpg

Associate
Aye but then you can turn it round saying it depends what 4 stroke and how you ride it :p. We should just face it both are fun, neither is a clear winner, horses for courses etc!

Associate
Your saying the noise is a plus? Oh no no no sir, now a V-twin or a V8 they are beautiful noises, a 2 stroke screaming it's head off is far from beautiful!

Soldato
W!ll said:
Your saying the noise is a plus? Oh no no no sir, now a V-twin or a V8 they are beautiful noises, a 2 stroke screaming it's head off is far from beautiful!

:eek:

Blasphemy!

A screaming two stroke is a beautiful noise!

I love the noise of singles too on bikes. My YZ250F sounds lovely at full chat.

Nearly all twins sound great, too.

In fact, anything that's not a four always sounds amazing imho. Fours are my least favourite bikes for noise, but that said, they can sound pretty sweet too.

Actually. Bikes sound great, nearly all of them! Two strokes sound best though :cool:

Associate
You should hear my 4stroke 500cc single, especially when you open it up a little, absolutely beautiful especially with a straight pipe :D.

Soldato
cokker said:
Get a Yamy TZR125, ive busted my balls a number of times on one of those, Raced a RD350 once and kept up with him, the needle used to go off the clock (100mph) i worked it out i was doing 115mph

Only way you would see 115 is if you threw it off beachy head .. 100 ish is more like it .
I recently got a Nsr125 for my son (2001 foxeye) and its in the middle of restoration (Minor crash damage) Nice bikes and well built..Dunno how quick it is as not ridden it yet (Tyres and C&S were knacked) .
I paid 900 for it (Ebay reseve was 1300) and there is a few cheap ones on there. Honda recomend a top end rebuild every 7k miles (Rings and decoke ) .
Use decent oil and dont thrash em from cold and im sure they will run for years .
Not as fast as an RS but im sure its more relaible . Have loads of piccies of it in various states of repair that i will post later when i have resized them and hosted them.

Regards

Persil

Soldato
You say not as fast but in truth there is about 5mph in it on a good day, the most i got out of the RS that i was playing with was 105 on a good stretch of road.

It wasnt used for the speed, it was pretty much just for the riding, excellent handling due to its weight, and the 2 stroke comes into its own in the corners, its totally different type of engine and needs to be ridden differently to really experience what a 2 stroke is all about.

I love the sound of my V Twin with its shotgun pipes, but i also like the sound of my ZX9R with Akro system on, but the sound of a 2 stroke going at full chat is equally satisfying :D

As far as the maintenance goes, the NSR is now different than the RS, you do however have Honda reliability and they are less prone to going bang, prices are slightly cheaper being Honda too.

But all 2 strokes (certainly the 125 and the 250 race replicas) will go bang if you dont look after them regularly bit it shouldnt put anyone off, if buying seconds hand look for one that has had its first rebuils and make sure that the frame is straight (most have been dropped and the lightweight frames can take a pasting).

Soldato
They are both as reliable as eachother if they are well maintained and not ridden stupidly.

Keep them both topped up with a good 2t oil, such as TTX and run them on optimax and i'd be surprised if one went before the other.

There's so many rumours about 125cc two strokes (especially the RS) blowing up all the time, but that's only if you ping the balls off them in every gear, changing far too late through the revs, or equally if you crunch down hard through the gears and you over rev. Sure, you have to ride them hard to get the most out of them, but a friend of mine has had his RS125 for two years now and taken good care of the bike - has it blown up or caused him any major wallet ache...no.

So now that's out of the question, look at the performance.
The NSR is a skinny bike, skinny tyres, skinny tank and all together flimsy build quality.
A friend of mine had an crash at 30mph, where the bike did nothing but slide along the floor, however the damage was as though it'd been a much worse crash. The fairings obviously scratched - as any bike's would, however they also cracked and bits ripped off. When he inspected the fairing afterwards, he realised just how flimsy they were.

The RS125 is renound for it's build quality, take a look at any that has been dropped in the same was as the NSR above, you'll see road rash to the fairing, but no deep scratches and definately no cracks.
The tyres are nice a wide (sure - they're not superbike wide, but then again it's not a superbike is it :)) and the tank is a good size so you can really get your knees tucked in underneath and if you wish, there's plenty of room for your chest on top of the tank to get tucked in behind the screen.

Comparing the performance of the bikes, you will find that the RS comes up trumps in every situation. Derestriced it's faster, 0-60 and 0-100, with a top speed of around 100-110mph standard and then with a BBK + bigger carb you're looking around 120mph - 125mph.
The NSR will top out at around 90mph and will get there much slower.

On corners, the wider tyres on the RS make it much more predictable. You can easily get your knee down without feeling like the bike will scoot out from under you, and in the wet they still provide you with enough confidence to not have to ride everything completely upright.
The NSR tyres are not much wider that the RS50's tyres, 130 on the back I think. The proof is in the pudding as my friend came off on a corner when he lost grip on a roundabout (mentioned above) due to the skinny tyres not finding grip on a damp road - moments after an RS had taken the same roundabout.

So, after much waffle - I conclude that you won't go far wrong with an RS125 - the performance, styling and build quality far exceed that of the NSR.
There are also hundreds of aftermarket bits you can buy for them - just fleabay "RS125" and take a look yourself.

Good luck with the purchase :)

Soldato
OP
Mrsix thankyou for your massive piece of information. i will look around for a rs 125 and the nsr 125. iv seen them boths and they boths look good tbh.
Althought i havnt realised that the nsr rear wheel was much thinner than the rs. infact i thought they were boths in the same league. i must have been blind.
ray

Associate
I have the big carb etc and can get 115 indicated, you only really get to about 100mph quickly and easily, the rest takes a while.

My mate has an NSR, when you park them side by side there is only one you'd want....the RS:)

Man of Honour
Mohinder said:
I bet it's a right goit to kick over though?
When I was little my Dad had a Matchless G12 that he used to ride to work.
Every day I'd watch him start it up - and for years I assumed there was a starting button under the seat, because from what I could see he just used to jump up and down on the seat really hard until it fired.

I couldn't see the kickstart he was shoving down on over the other side of the bike :o

Back
Top Bottom