What is the quietest psu you can buy?

Soldato
Ive got a hiper 480w supposedly 14dba, but its the noisiest thing in my case. Whats the quietest psu i can get? I hear good things about the seasonic, but i wonder if it actually would be any quieter than the hiper ive got.

Are the passive psu's up to a reasonable standard ?

Associate
a 12 volt car batterie.? and you never have too worry about having enough amps in the 12 volt rail ! . open the PSU any 8th grader can and replace the fans = very simple and much cheaper than buying a brand new psu . fans are cheap!. actually i allready did but for a more CFM fan since the one it had did not move any air!.

Last edited:
Associate
the fan is the part that's making the noise, if the fan is noisy then you can replace it.

i'm not sure why you'd be happy using a noisy PSU in a HTPC, as I'd have thought you'd want it to be as silent as possible.

Soldato
OP
its not noisy by any means, its just not as quiet as i would like. Media centre would only be on while im watching a program, its not left on all the time, so the psu would be fine for that.

When i have the pc on the floor the noise dosent bother me, its only putting in on the desk where i really want to keep it that the noise bothers me.

Soldato
Yeh I agree with that comment, they don't push as much air as some of the other do, but then they have sacrificed the amount of air pushed for the noise level. But they never overheat, and the case that I had it in at the time I owned one was very poor for circulation, but the power supply never got more than warm.

TBH I wish that I didn't sell mine, but the down side to them is that they don't come with PCI Ecpress connecters etc. That was the only reason I got rid of mine when I got a DFI board and PCI card, just the lack of connectivity.

Soldato
OP
i think they do now, but only one on the 600w one. I was looking at the liberty, i just cant find out the noise level on it, i previously had a hyper 580 which was noisy, i think im just sensitive to noise, perhaps i should just cut my ears off.

kbc

kbc

Associate
InwardSinging said:
...perhaps i should just cut my ears off.

Wise choice in my opinion. :p What is the complete spec of this system, are you absolutely convinced it's the PSU making all that noise? :)

Have a seasonic myself, the noise is drowned out by my 120 decibels graphics card.

Associate
Some PSU now come with 140mm fan . Aerocool’s new Streamliner Fan Type Case Fan

Fan Speed 1000 RPM

Noise Level 19 dBA

Air Flow 54.4 CFM

Bearing Type Sleeve

Voltage 12 V

Current 0.24 A

Power Consumption 2.88 W

Connector(s) 3-Pin Motherboard4-Pin Molex

Fan Dimensions 140 x 140 x 20 mm

Last edited: