Sky +

Soldato
I currently have the standard Sky Digital box with full package, I was thinking what is the benefits of upgrading to Sky + ?

My VCR recorder has also conviently packed up, and I understand from this bit of kit you can record onto a hard drive? suits me.

I looked in the official sky site and an offer is on for £89.99 from £199.99 ? :confused: if your an exisiting customer, correct?

Can someone tell me the good bits/bad bits, whats it like and is it worth getting multiroom? more imortantly will i be satasfied?

Any replies would be much appreciated.

Cheers :)

Soldato
i love it!!!im moving soon though and cant take it with me (rented property) :(

i always forgot to record programs but with Sky+ you can set record then just press green to make it record each episode of that program

right now im watching tv and its recording another program for me and i love that you can pause it because there is always someone who tries to talk to me when im watching a really good program

Last edited:
Associate
I've been interested in it but there's a few things I'm not sure about. I believe it costs £10 a month... why? What continual service do they provide to justify a continual charge?

Can you use regular hard drive recorders with sky?

Soldato
No it is £10 per month regardless of multiroom. I only have SKy+ in one room and if I didn't have the full package I'd have to pay an extra £10.

Also in case you haven't realised it you will need a new dish as the sky+ ones have duel LNB's so you can record two channels at once.

Soldato
If you have multiroom Sky+ is free, or vice versa whichever way you want to look at it.

You don't actually need a new dish, they will fit a quad LNB to your existing dish.

I've had my Sky+ for ages - I paid £400 for it and I don't regret it for one minute, its the best £400 I've ever spent on a gadget. I don't actually watch all that much TV, but when I do want to with Sky+ I know there will be something I want to watch recorded. When I got mine there was no dual recording or instant rewind, but they are regularly updating the software to add new features.

Associate
For existing customers, its £89 if you take a £10 per month minimum multiroom contract (12 months) or £199 for a simple upgrade. You only need multiroom to watch different sky channels in different rooms.

If you want sky without multiroom then the £199 is a high price where new customers get the same service for £89 with no multiroom ties, just need to ring up sky and pretend to cancel your account, you will be asked why and explain how you feel it unfair new customers get better treatement etc and you will get sky plus installed all in for £89 no multiroom.

Sky plus is deffiently worth while especaiily as i work nights, but you will not belive how easy it is to record and how it changes your life. If your happy with the sky service then go for it (you will be tied into another 12 months)

The £10 a month fee is for people on the basic package to use the record facillity and this is a rip off, so its only good VFM is you have movie channels or sports IMO.

You could use a stand alone hard drive recorder, this will not allow you to watch and record different sky programs, or record with a single button, or record in broadcast quality.

Sorry for the long post, if you want any more information let me know, ive had it for years and love it!

Just to let you know the new sky plus boxes now allow you to record 40 hours, double the old style one!

Good Luck

Andy

Soldato
Phone sky, tell them you are thinking of switching to a good Telewest or HomeChoice etc deal you have seen, and take it from there, they'll give you some sort of a deal to keep you.

Associate
There is a thread on the AVforums saaying that if you say you want to cancel they will do you Sky+ for £49 for a recon box or £69 for a new box and free fitting.

Andy

Permabanned
andy2k said:

Just to let you know the new sky plus boxes now allow you to record 40 hours, double the old style one!

Good Luck

Andy
correct me if i am wrong but that was already what the recording time was when they first came out?

Associate
The £10 charge on SKY+ is if you dont take at least 2 of the premium packs, which works out at £36 a month, ie all channels bar sport.
If you are currently on the full package then you will not pay for anything apart from the box (at whatever deal you can get), also try and get recommended by a friend as they will get a prezzy as well.

Associate
I may be reading this wrong but I have four sky box's and I was thinking about getting sky+ but does it mean I need 2 dish's so I can have 4 sky+ box's?.

taken from there site,

A standard Sky box works by taking one digital feed from your minidish. This means that one minidish can serve up to two Sky+ boxes or four Sky boxes in your home. You will need a Multiroom subscription for each additional box in the different rooms around your house.

Associate
Hi There :D

Got home last night and my Version 3 pace Sky+ had been updated with the new software :( . It now seems slower when you go from channel to channel . Also see there is now Sky Movies 9 & 10 that say HD ?

This is what mine reads :

Make : Pace
Model : 4.008
version : 9F2202
System : 1.31AOI
Software : Sky+ 4.00o

:)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
blueboy2001 said:
Note that if you want to install a second satellite dish on your property, regardless of its size, you will need planning permission.

Who is actually going to say anything though? Ive had 3 dish' on my house since i moved in with no problems at all.

Cheapest way to upgrade to sky+ if you are an existing subscriber with full package is to simply buy a sky+ box and dual/quad LNB off ebay. They worth sod all now, then just phone sky and update your box details with them.

Back
Top Bottom