Camera Metering Vs Light Meter

Associate
I have a light meter at home but have never really used it in battle. My wife tends to use it for studio work.

When I get a chance I want to take a series of shots of various things using the various metering modes on camera and with the light meter. I want to do this because I have never really sat down and thought about metering when taking pictures, so I don't really know what difference it would make. (I would just point and click!)

I was just wondering if people just use on camera metering, separate light meter or just plain guess work ;) or perhaps all three?

Permabanned
In camera metering relies on reflected light, dont lightmeters work in incidental light??

Totally different approach, depends what your subject is and the equipment used on which approach is best altho generally you can get away with either!

Associate
OP
Slime101 said:
In camera metering relies on reflected light, dont lightmeters work in incidental light??

Totally different approach, depends what your subject is and the equipment used on which approach is best altho generally you can get away with either!

Yes, camera use reflected and lightmeters use incidental/flash.

Some of the photos I see posted are superb so, I was just wondering if people on here actually bothered with light meters.

Back
Top Bottom