ADSL - cheapest BT phoneline tarrif

Pho

Pho

Soldato
A friend of mine currently doesn't have a land-line (the lines still there but it's not connected), due to a fall out with BT (who tried to claim they make a £1000 phone call when theyweren't even around at the supposed time).

Anyway, they would now like ADSL, they use their mobiles for calling everyone and have no need to make outgoing calls on a home phone. What would be the cheapest BT line rental package they could have whilst still getting broadband? Some places say that you can have broadband without outgoing calls and some say you can't. And no, you can't get cable in the area.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Associate
If you want adsl then you have to have a phone line.period.and no company will sell you a phone line that doesn't make outgoing calls, they'd never make any money off it!!

Have a look at any of the LLU (local loop unbundled) isps, they'll provide you with a phone too, and often have extremely fast bb with cheap line rental and atm offers for *** first few months...service areas are limited though.

If your friend wants/has to go with BT the cheapest line rental from them is £10.50 if paid by direct debit.

Might be worth phoning BT and seeing if you could get BB if they installed a pay phone. Payphone will give you a line coming into the house, but I don't know if it'll except bb or if you can attached other devices to the line...might be worth a call to BT though.
Other than that there isn't much you can do.

Soldato
They could use call barring, that would stop outgoing calls, but a normal line would still be needed.

Blackstar_solar said:
Might be worth phoning BT and seeing if you could get BB if they installed a pay phone. Payphone will give you a line coming into the house, but I don't know if it'll except bb or if you can attached other devices to the line...might be worth a call to BT though.
Afaik you can't, good idea though.

Caporegime
Some payphones are "incompatible products" for ADSL.
Cheapest line rental's going up to £11 a month though.

Generally speaking, the "light user" (ie incoming calls only) lines aren't supposed to be used with ADSL (expect "incompatible product" message), but some folks find the order goes through anyway. Your mileage may vary.

Soldato
One of our DSL customers has some kind of 'light' scheme on his telephone line which allows him to have cheaper line rental. BT's system does show his line as incompatible to have DSL but as he already had it with another supplier so we forced the migration through the system without any problem.

In other words, there is a solution, there’s just very little know about it :p

Soldato
axer said:
One of our DSL customers has some kind of 'light' scheme on his telephone line which allows him to have cheaper line rental. BT's system does show his line as incompatible to have DSL but as he already had it with another supplier so we forced the migration through the system without any problem.

In other words, there is a solution, there’s just very little know about it :p

Its called the "Light user scheme". My BT line was on it, but after changing ISP's from BT retail to Nildram, BT were forced to change me to friends and family, hence a larger landline bill...

I really wish BT would offer a line compatible with adsl with no calls on it, surely ofcom could impose something similar if they wanted to?

Caporegime
Dave2150 said:
I really wish BT would offer a line compatible with adsl with no calls on it, surely ofcom could impose something similar if they wanted to?

There was talk of it, but suspect the problem was that the "ADSL-only" line would have to have an add-on charge for the copper pair, which would be near enough the same as the current Option 1 line rental.
That is, you go from paying £11 for Option 1 to paying ~£11 for an "ADSL-only" line.

Plus, when the hell have Ofcom ever done anything to help the consumer?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom