Networking need help :(

Associate
Howdy folks.

Am in a real pickle of a situation atm with my network i have, its tricky to explain so i did a drawing lol and i hope it helps.

Heres the deal, I have My main PC, My mams PC, and my xbox 360. There is one network card in my pc and one in my mams pc and the correct crossover cable linking them up, i also have the cable given for the xbox360 that goes to my pc but is not plugged in when my mams pc is on. So when i want to use the 360 i unplug my mams cable and plug the xbox in and when me mam wants on i unplug the 360 and plug her cable in, hopefully your still with me.

heres a pic of the set up

networkpic4gf.jpg

So basically my setup was all working fine one week ago, then suddenly on the weekend something happened, i dunno what because i wasn't here but the network just stopped working. Now i got my xbox360 back working again but the network between my pc and my mams just doesn't work.

the network is on, the cable works both cards are working and the green light is on, on them. and the connection even comes up in the task bar as being on ie - its not saying the cable is unplugged etc.

but for some reason the connection just isn't going through, i can access the net and everything on my pc but i can't on my mams pc.

heres where it gets sticky, i can't ping either i can't ping a machine when i'm on the other the machine i just get this.

ipping1nn.jpg

so basically its not picking the other machine up whatsoever, and vice cersa when i try and ping my machine from my mams machine.

I go into the LAN connection properties etc and heres my setup

my mams machine is almost identical except with 192.168.0.11 as its ip.

Like i say the xbox works perfectly and still does and its the same kinda netowrk thing so i dont no whats going on with my mams machine.

I have no firewalls on either of the pc's so nothing is blocking the connection at all.

ANy help would be fantastic because me mam is doing me nut in harping on about this not being fixed within 5 secs of breaking.

G

Soldato
'lo :) just quickly has something messed up with the ICS? if you right click on your main NIC listed in network properties, right click etc and have a look if it's still sharing.

It might be something like that, I had that happen, the cable was plugged from my PC into friends MAC, but the connection wasn't being shared, turned out I either cancelled or forgot to apply the ICS bit of the configuration :)

Ever thought about a router though? would save the hassle of unplugging all the time :)

Associate
OP
internet connection sharing is enabled on the DSL modem, but not enabled and the netowkr card, which i think is correct, as only one can be on at a time.

Associate
do an IPCONFIG /ALL on both machines and ensure the IP Address allocations are correct.
It shouldnt make any difference to the ping, but you might want to check your in the same work group also.

Do you have any over X-Over cables you could try?

Associate
OP
its a cross over cable between my machine and me mams pc al try it witht he xbox one now though .

it doesn't work at all with *** xbox cable plugged in both pc's, but the x over cable i use atm does enable the network so the cable is fine and the cards are fine.

Last edited:
Associate
iamgud said:
G, buy a router. if you already have an ethenet modem it is even cheaper. Or is it USB?

Na he has a USB modem, Speedtouch 330. Its strange because i cant see why it wont work, ive been VNCing to his machine and trying several IP settings out but i just cannot get them to ping, even though if he swaps cables around for Xbox Live it works.

Only thing i can think of now is a dodgy ethernet card in his mums machine. For some reason in the lan card settings it lists 6 different options instead of 3 (the section that has internet protocol TCP/IP etc), can you list in here what you get G?

Associate
Yeah thats what i thought as well but that isnt the case, G doesn't like firewalls very much so i very much doubt there is one on there, nothings been installed since it was working before and there wasn't a firewall in the first place.

Ill have to get him to make another post as i know he was having problems with his mums network card last night as it wasnt reinstalling correctly.

Associate
OP
wahey its all fixed!

yeah last nite i started deleting stuff from the hardware thing like mad, anything to do with netowkrs or modems i got rid of. but then it wouldn't pick up the card to install.

after i talked with a m8 on msn he said try moving the card to a diff slot which have done and boom! it all works now.

thanks to every1 that tried to help me. especially linkz who a hassled loads hhehehehe.

Back
Top Bottom