VW or Ford?

Associate
Im currently trying to decide between a VW Golf (Mk5 preferably) and a Ford Focus (the older shape) 1.8 or 2l Zetec.

What would you guys/girls go for?

Also - im incredibly chuffed today as i work for the police and i passed my force driving test - meaning i can drive non-operational vehicles! Hooray! :D

Soldato
Focus, but I'm a little biased as I own a 2002 1.6 Focus :p

For some reason a Golf never really does anything for me, dull and boring is what I think about but it's prolly just as good as a Focus.

Watch out peeps, there is a copper on the forums :D

Associate
OP
The main reason the Golf popped into my head as its what i drove to do my test this morning - a Golf GTI 2l. I have'nt had a proper test drive of the Focus yet though so will have to see what happens, but i always appreciate the comments i get from you guys. :)

Oh and im not a copper - i said i work for the police, im just an IT guy that needs to drive a non-operational police vehicle so i can move kit around different stations. If im driving a force car i HAVE to park in police stations, so don't ever need to worry about parking. :D

Soldato
I'd take a Mk5 Golf over a Mk1 Focus any day of the week - its a much nicer place to be. The Mk1 Focus handles well and they are very reliable, but they have little else going for them. Mk5 Golf and Mk2 Focus is a much closer run thing, personally I'd still take the Golf becuase I found the seats in the Focus too narrow.

Man of Honour
Seems odd becuase I cannot envisage a single situation where a Mk5 Golf and a previous model Focus would be the same price, and thus, considered against each other.

Soldato
The Mk5 Golf is clearly a class above the Mk1 Focus, particularly as it's a generation ahead. A bit of a no-brainer unless cash is tight and you're pairing a 1.4 Mk5 Golf against a 2.0 Mk1 Focus.

Associate
MuvverRussia said:
nope- VAG stands for Volkswagen AG- AG is essentially the german version of LTD iirc.
Yep, it's the abbreviated version of Aktiengesellschaft which means a corporation which is limited by shares (according to Wikipedia anyway :) ).

I'd go for the Ford, but only because i've had more Ford's than VW's :). They're both good manufacturers anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom