• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Opteron 170 Ocing Thread ***

Associate
Just arrived, same stepping as yours. I will be priming/burning in tonight. Lowest possible voltage and highest possible cpu speed. Then crank up the voltage :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
kingnothing said:
Just arrived, same stepping as yours. I will be priming tonight. Lowest possible voltage and highest possible cpu speed. Then crank up the voltage :D

sweet, it'll be a little challenge between us.

What are your comp specs? e.g. mobo, RAM etc etc.

Agent :cool:

Associate
Just fired up my new Opti 170. Straight in @ 2.61 1.36V. Temps are a little higher than my Sandy @2.6 1.52V. Idling it is at 40C.
Full load both cores 45C. It may take a while for the Artic Silver to settle I guess.

Very impressed with the chip I am sure 2.8 is more than achievable with some tweaking.

Matt

Associate
OP
mattup said:
Just fired up my new Opti 170. Straight in @ 2.61 1.36V. Temps are a little higher than my Sandy @2.6 1.52V. Idling it is at 40C.
Full load both cores 45C. It may take a while for the Artic Silver to settle I guess.

Very impressed with the chip I am sure 2.8 is more than achievable with some tweaking.

Matt

Nice job Matt,

Just wondering what the stepping is?

Let us know the results...

Associate
OP
mattup said:
Agent, same stepping as yours. Trying to keep it cool with my Zalman CNPS9500 LED.
What temps are you hitting?

Matt

Unfortunatly i'm at work atm. I'm using a Thermaltake Silent Tower to keep her cool. But I've left it at home priming on 1.35V and when I get back it should have done a good amount of work.

I'll let ya know temps. But i've got the same Mobo but different RAM.

I'm pleased to hear you've got a good clock out of your so far ;)

Associate
Hope your not going to be had up for missuse of company property!

How do you prime both cores at the same time. It seems that core 1 idles when I run 2 sp2004 sessions?

Matt

Associate
OP
mattup said:
Hope your not going to be had up for missuse of company property!

How do you prime both cores at the same time. It seems that core 1 idles when I run 2 sp2004 sessions?

Matt

Wouldn't worry about that mate, I work damned hard and the company give me a little bit of lee-way for using the internet...

As for running 2 instances of Prime. You need it save in two different locations on your comp.

I've just mine saved in the same location in two different files. So you can run two instances at the same time.

Give it a shot ;)

Agent

Associate
OP
Any one know what a dangerous temp level for this cpu is?

I'm idling at about 36C on Stock and going to about 40C at full load (priming both cores).

Is 55C a good level to keep it under?

Agent. :cool:

Associate
Those temps are fine, i would try and keep it below 55c on full load. Ive got my opty 165 @2.7 1.475V and it idles at 34c and about 44c load on the stock cooler :) . Got the GSKILL HZ 2GB kit at 245mhz 3-4-4-8 on a 166 divider, had it at 270mhz 3-5-5-8 2.8v but i didnt think it was stable enough for me.

Any 1 else got a similar setup? whats the timmings like on your ram and *** fsb are runnings it at?

Associate
OP
Murzo said:
Those temps are fine, i would try and keep it below 55c on full load. Ive got my opty 165 @2.7 1.475V and it idles at 34c and about 44c load on the stock cooler :) . Got the GSKILL HZ 2GB kit at 245mhz 3-4-4-8 on a 166 divider, had it at 270mhz 3-5-5-8 2.8v but i didnt think it was stable enough for me.

Thanks for the headsup.

I dont know why its so warm on my CPU, but it just is. Oh well.

Agent. :cool:

Associate
OP
Come on Opty 170 owners / abusers. Lets get life into this thread so if people want to know who well the 170s clock they can easily see they do that very well ;)

Just a quick update for you all.

I recieved my TT Big Typhoon CPU cooler and a massive YS-Tech fan. It dropped my load temps from 51C to 41C at load, so I'm impressed.

So, i've bumped the CPU upto 2.8ghz with 1.375v. It now runs at about 42C.

Link

And yes, it was priming for about 10 mins but hay. I could resist.

Comments will be well appreciated!

Soldato
I got my 408L Opty 170 and it went straight in at 1.75Ghz with stock cooler (waiting for arctic silver to arrive to use my zalman)

I have a feeling my ram ratios arent working either as I have the same problem when its trying to save the bios settings on boot up , it just stalls on the last section of bios details and does nothing.

I am about to move house, so not too worried about this ( 2.75G is pretty damn good i think) will play once I am settled again and hope I can get 2.8 or 2.9Ghz with the zalman and a bios upgrade.

Associate
OP
Scroll to the bottom

As per the writing on the link. Its pretty loud but does such a good job its mad!

That and I opened my windows slighty.

But i've been priming @2.8ghz and she does go above 48C. I'm very impressed with it indeed!

Also, I have been unable to get it stable at 3ghz. No 1M Pi or 3D mark. Shame. Oh well. It was good fun whilst it lasted.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom