server ticks?

Man of Honour
My cs:s clan has just upgraded from a 66 tick to a 100 tick sever i also play on a 33 tick server every now and again but i was just wondering what difference does it make and what actually is tick?

Man of Honour
Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong:

I beleive it's the rate at how much the server refreshes everything going on. So in theory, 66 ticks is processing twice as much stuff as a 33 tick server, and 100 three times as much as a 33. So this should mean better shot reg on the server and feel a bit smoother.

Associate
DaveyD said:
Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong:

I beleive it's the rate at how much the server refreshes everything going on. So in theory, 66 ticks is processing twice as much stuff as a 33 tick server, and 100 three times as much as a 33. So this should mean better shot reg on the server and feel a bit smoother.

Thats correct, it's the number of updates per second. The server and client must be able to handle the data required for 100 tick otherwise hit reg. could be worse than a 66 or 33 tick server. Use net_graph 3 to see the in/out ( relates to tick rate) and choke. If your getting choke either the client and or the server can't handle the data. You could then use 66 tick rates on a 100 tick server to reduce the data flow / choke.

66 tick

rate 20000
cl_cmdrate 70
cl_updaterate 70

100 tick

rate 25000
cl_cmdrate 100
cl_updaterate 100

Soldato
usually match servers are 100tick, makes out for superb reg and smooth gameplay, no one moans about all this "MEEEEHHH I CANT HIT IM GOING TO 1.6" balls. because..well..you do hit. 66 is the norm now, decent reg, 33 is just dire.

Associate
75 tick is best imo, more likely to have client machines and a server that is capable of running it. 100tick servers are quite fussy and have much higher requirements.

I'm sure aXeR will be in here soon to offer his words of wisdom. :)

Back
Top Bottom