Heaviest band / song?

Soldato
As title, what is the heaviest band and or song of all time?

I can think of:

Sepultura -Roots era?
Obituary (fast as bits although not very good)
Fudge Tunnel (can be slow but has there been a heavier riff since?)
Pigface - purely for vocals / lyrics, scary front man!

I'm sure I am missing a few others!! :confused:

Soldato
weescott said:
Sepultura -Roots era?

You know cannibal corpse did a cover of roots bloody roots that is far heavier. Also i believe the riff from angel of death was voted heaviest riff of all time :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
It depends what your definition of heavy is really. Some might say that Cannibal Corpse and similar bands are where it's at, with 1000mph drumming, lots of growling and pummelled guitars.

I think that you can get an equally heavy and brutal sound without going for the thrash approach though, so would say that Grinning Mouths by Isis is the heaviest song I know of. It ends with a huge riff and although the drumming stays the same slow but steady pace throughout the song, it defines the meaning of 'heavy' for me (moreso when played live) without just being loud and mental for the sake of it.

Soldato
Yeah it does depend on your definition. I've often thought Fear Factory have some heavy riffs, but they're completly different to other bands which I've also thought the same of.

Soldato
Evil-Penguin said:
I've often thought Fear Factory have some heavy riffs...
Funny you should say that, Fear Factory are the other band that instantly sprang to mind for me. Demanufacture is easily one of the heaviest albums you could hope to hear. I don't really listen to much heavy stuff anymore, but I've had that album since it came out and can still crank it quite happily 10 years on.

Suspended
Converge are pretty insanely heavy - too heavy for most people, in fact. They absolutely wipe the floor with Sepultura. Try out the song 'Homewrecker' for a taste.

However they're far from the heaviest. As far as metal bands go, the heaviest that I can think of that still have a tune are Anaal Nathrakh. Their album 'The Codex Necro' is absolutely insane.

I'd have to say that the absolute crown for kings of heavy goes to Axis of Perdition, though. Their album 'The Ichnumeon Method' is verging on the ridiculous. You can try them out here.

Moving away from the metal/hardcore genre though, it's probably worth listening to some of the output fo Venetian Snares, or Merzbow, if you can classify that as music. Some of that gets pretty damn gnarly. For a slightly nicer, more radio-friendly (hahaha) version, try out some Wolf Eyes. I think they actually released a record on Sub Pop so they can't be that sonically intense. If you believe that, do you see that bridge over there..?

Soldato
Big Chris said:
It depends what your definition of heavy is really.

Well said.

My opinion, 4th of July - Soundgarden is up there, low guitar, two vocals (same person), relaxed drums compared to the usual style on that album, and great lyrics. Brilliant.

Based on the usual, music shop category, heavy songs/bands:

Kyuss
Messhugah
Karma to Burn
Clutch
NIN (some songs, alright a good few)
Sepultura
Nothingface
Beaver
Dozer
Type O
Sixty Watt Shaman
Lamb of God
Metallica
Fu Manchu

:)

Soldato
Snot anyone?

Snot - Snot is very heavy, I'd say at least. Possibly Snot - Get some, also.

Edit -> And btw Carzy, thankyou so much for getting me into Sigur Ros, I've been in need of new music for a while and they were just what I was looking for. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Big Chris said:
Funny you should say that, Fear Factory are the other band that instantly sprang to mind for me. Demanufacture is easily one of the heaviest albums you could hope to hear. I don't really listen to much heavy stuff anymore, but I've had that album since it came out and can still crank it quite happily 10 years on.

Same here, but then again they are my favourite band in heavy music... good to see there are some FF fans on here. was thinking Soul of a New Machine was more heavy and raw. demanufacture is just refined more. infact all FF albums are great. off topic but off to see them in manc this april...again :)

Timbo

Associate
merzbow must be about as heavy as it can get, I'm not sure its listenable, try 1930 for starters...
other than that, something by sun O)))/Jesu/Khanate

Soldato
Timbo_La said:
Same here, but then again they are my favourite band in heavy music... good to see there are some FF fans on here. was thinking Soul of a New Machine was more heavy and raw. demanufacture is just refined more. infact all FF albums are great. off topic but off to see them in manc this april...again :)

Timbo

Good choice, FF have been one of my favourite bands ever since i heard Demanufacture whe i was about 12 or so. Seen them Live 3 times and love them to bits.

I'd say some of Panteras more stomping songs are pretty damn heavy too, a new Level is pretty damn savage and good.

Man of Honour
Prodigy - Poison (The live version they play)

Sorry to be controversial, but metal or 'heavy' rock bands I don't find heavy in the slightest...

Associate
the thing i love about pantera is, thier albums got heavier as they went along...which doesnt really happen much when a band get popular. but going back to the original thread i agree some slow songs can be really heavy, with them big chugging riffs, and cymbal crashes.... morbid angel come to mind.

Timbo

Associate
Nitefly said:
Prodigy - Poison (The live version they play)

Sorry to be controversial, but metal or 'heavy' rock bands I don't find heavy in the slightest...

...The prodigy aren't even a 'Rock' band so not much chance of them being heavy ;)

No controversy there at all :D

Back
Top Bottom