• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Socket M2

Associate
Hi,

I am currently waiting for a little extra cash to build a machine. I am thinking about holding on for M2, but was wondering if anyone new a date that I would actually able to get a board and CPU from overclockers.

Also, any idea how much they will cost? Looking for 3700-4000 single core.

Any help would be great, thanks.

Matt

Associate
looks to be out round about april dont know prices though probably around £150 for motherboards and about an extra £50 - £100 on current 939 processor prices for the processors

Associate
OP
So I should be able to buy one in April or thats when they are released?

I will be shocked if I can get my hands on one in april cause I have not read any reviews on the socket or anything like that yet.

Im stuck between holding on and purchasing a Opteron, decisions decisions.

Associate
OP
Hmm, just read something on theinquirer.net saying:

"All these factors will drive the cost of M2 or AM2 boards to be five to ten dollars higher than socket 939 or 754 boards. After some time, this cost should drop but at the beginning it will be a little bit more expensive to make them. They are still scheduled for Q2 launch, so I suspect that you should see many of them at Computex in June and some previews at CeBIT next month."

Well that says June, so maybe I will be waiting a long long time.

Caporegime
I would just get a s939 system if you want a new pc.
I never buy the new revision stuff on release.

You wont see any performance increase in m2 so just get a nice stable s939 system now.

Waiting is pointless IMO with regrads to pc hardware.

you will have got nearly 6 months out of your new pc by the time m2 is released and in pc terms rthats a long time.

enjoy now and upgrade when things settle and get established.

Soldato
easyrider said:
You wont see any performance increase in m2 so just get a nice stable s939 system now.
i cant say there's been actual performance benchmarks of the M2 yet?
so i wouldnt go automatically assuming it wont be any better. ofcourse you could be right but really we have to wait till benchmarks come through.

Associate
AM2 will be a com plete waste of money! If you are planning on waiting for it don't bother.

All the new AM2 will offer is DDR2 Ram support. That is the only difference between socket 939 and AM2.

The only good thing to come out of this will be that socket 939 will come down in price when AM2 is released! :D

Soldato
i remember reading that the only reason it was getting released was because 939 pins just wouldnt be enough. but then i found out that M2 has 940 pins.. like the Opteron :o

Soldato
I was surprised it had 940 pins - this was said to lead to the expensive of the original Socket 940 motherboards which had to use an expensive 6-layer PCB against the cheaper 4-layer PCB

Socket AM2 offers an increased bus speed (333Mha) and DDR2 memory. Unfortunately, they seem to have reduced the clock speeds for equivalent processors so there won't be any performance increase (a 3700+ Socket 939 will probably perform like a 3700+ AM2 (just like when they decreased the clock speeds when moving from Socket 754 to 939))

Associate
OP
Yea but I dont fancy buying a board with that feature, I really dont like the sound of it, would much prefer a dedicated board.

I think im just gonna go 939 and either get a 3700 SD or a decent stepping Opteron if I can get one.

I think I will end up with the Asus SLI Deluxe board.

Thanks for your help

Suspended
ajgoodfellow said:
Unfortunately, they seem to have reduced the clock speeds for equivalent processors so there won't be any performance increase (a 3700+ Socket 939 will probably perform like a 3700+ AM2 (just like when they decreased the clock speeds when moving from Socket 754 to 939))

If that's true (reduce clocks) then It'll probably end up performing slower than S939 equivalent in encoding apps because of clock speed mattering more... not exactly a good start for the 'new' tech.

Back
Top Bottom