Serious Guild Wars problem!

Permabanned
If I start from any city, outpost or other location the game just freezes up within 1-2 minutes!

Now after I've hit the PC's reset button, that's the only way to get out the game, and the PC's rebooted my ADSL modems icon, those two up/down arrows, shows up as red in the system tray and say's there's no signal!

However, if I pull the USB socket out and plug it straight back in the modem works just fine! Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

One problem is that seen as GW is being played when this occurs, I can't see exactly what's going on with the connection lights. Although when the game freezes, all three lights on the modem (Power, DSL and Data) stay lit.

This only started last-night, up until then everything was working fine and I was actually playing Guild Wars for an hour or so before. Nothing's been installed, updated or un-installed at all.

By the way, surfing the interweb is just fine, it doesn't drop connection at all.

Anyone have a clue? Thanks

Soldato
alt click My Computer - manage - even viewer.

will tell you if anything reported an error before the crash.
sounds like some sort of system driver errors, try re-installing windows, maybe GW is trying to do somthing that the other games you play don't?
what other games you play btw? as that will give us a better idea what is being used.
also have you checked your motherboard/graphics/sound/etc drivers are up to date? with the old ones totaly removed beforehand?

Man of Honour
What PSU do you have? Some USB adsl modems max out the 500mA supplied by a usb port.

To be honest I'd recommend using an ethernet modem/router over a USB modem these days - they are pretty cheap these days.

Is your system overlclocked at all?

Permabanned
OP
Right. Other games I play are BF2/BF2:SF, HL2, CSS, FS9, IL2, CFS3, COD, MOH:AA, LOMAC and FEAR. All of which are fine, apart from BF2 and FEAR which I haven't tested yet (sorry for all the acronyms).

In Event Viewer nothing shows up as have caused a problem on the date/time in question. Incidentally, I was looking for a Guild Wars Event Log, that's why I asked a stupidly n00bish question.

The only thing on my system overclocked is my CPU, but that's 100MHz. An Athlon64 3200+ 'Venice' @ 2.1GHz, it's been at that speed since it was installed and Guild Wars has never ever had one problem at all until now. My PSU is an Antec 480W.

I don't think it's the modem causing this, as I ran Guild Wars 'windowed' so as I could see what was occuring in the system tray and the game just froze the entire system. I just don't think the modem likes a hard reboot of the system that much.

Soldato
I have an idea!, check the fan on your graphics card it sounds like the fan may be faulty causing overheating, listen out for a screeching sound as a sure sign that the fan is about to die (this will probably happen either yesterday or the day before :D ). Remove the card and attempt to push the fan around with you finger this may prove a little difficult if the fan has come off it's spindle...your card is probably still under warranty so just return it :D

If this isn't the case then force half a pound of lard onto your cpu heatsink/fan and see if that helps*

Just a lucky guess ;)

*I accept no responsibility for anyone actually doing this and breaking stuff!

Soldato
This was a very common problem when the game first came out. I had the same issue, there never was a definitive answer but there were loads of potential fixes, lots to do with the the chip on your sound card. Try running it with a nosound switch and see if it still freezes.

Can't type for toffee
Don
I'd also agree with using a ethernet modem/router over a USB one.

It's most probably you're overclock mate.

GW seems rather picky with OC's both me and 2 of my mates have this problem with overclocked opterons, game just don't like it. But other games run fine.

Permabanned
OP
Sweetloaf said:
I have an idea!, check the fan on your graphics card it sounds like the fan may be faulty causing overheating, listen out for a screeching sound as a sure sign that the fan is about to die (this will probably happen either yesterday or the day before :D ). Remove the card and attempt to push the fan around with you finger this may prove a little difficult if the fan has come off it's spindle...your card is probably still under warranty so just return it :D

If this isn't the case then force half a pound of lard onto your cpu heatsink/fan and see if that helps*

Just a lucky guess ;)

*I accept no responsibility for anyone actually doing this and breaking stuff!

Wow! Now that's just un-canny! Good call, Sweet! :D

Back
Top Bottom