Faster fan = hotter temps?

Soldato
Hey there

I have a Thermaltake Volcano 11. At idle i run it at half the rpm (3000) and on my 3200 barton i get temps of about 45C.

However when i run the fan at its max rpm (4800) the temps slowly climb to 50+

I'm thinking its because the fan is spinning faster, and the motor or whatever is generating more heat... But it still doesnt make sense to me :confused:

Whilst gaming the temps were actually cooler on the lower RPM

I think this fan was a bad design :) Or i've missed something

Associate
I dont think it would be the motor giving out the heat.

Maybe that air flow loops back round into the fan because of the large area of lower pressure above it so it just keeps pushing around warm air.

Thats my idea anyway.

Associate
I've experienced this as well. If i have my cpu cooler at min my cpu is about 2C cooler than it is at about a quarter speed. Anything from about a third speed up sees the temperature going back down though.

Soldato
OP
It wouldnt be the warm air being sucked back in i dont think, because i have an exhaust fan, and a case fan right next to the CPU, and i have an additional fan mounted above the CPU

Associate
hmmm new idea. If there is enough air pressure the air is trapped touching the heatsink so new air sucked into the heatsink just rides over the trapped air, so leaving the warm pockets of air trapped inside the heatsink.

:p

Back
Top Bottom