Logitech z-640's upgrade?

Soldato
I have a predicament. I still really love my z-640's, but feel the need to splash out on the z-5500's. I've given up getting the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1's from the US and am not keen on the high end Creative stuff as i've seen them in action.

Basically i won't be able to play music at a high level due to housemates, especially with Logitech's reknowned thuddy bass. So will playing the z-5500's at a low level make much difference to my z-640's when clarity is concerned. I just want a clearer, crisper sound, if at all possible.

Soldato
Just get what i got, the logitech x-530 set. Since ocuk dont sell x-530 i could tell u i think but i dont wana rish it unless others think its ok. Anyhow i got em for £40 with free delivery from a certain etailer.

Look nice and raving reviews and nothing but praise for em.

Soldato
Look at some small hi-fi bookshelf speakers and an amp. For the price of the Z-5500's you could buy something decent new, or something pretty good second hand. If you don't really need massive thumping bass then I think this would be your best option, especially if music is your primary concern.

A common misconception is that smaller hi-fi speakers won't be able to compete with the bass of a dedicated PC sub, but in actual fact this is often not the case. Whilst it might not give the absolute sound volume output (i.e. thudding muddy bass) they'll be more controlled and sound better.

Another option would be to buy a good set of headphones and a headphone amp for your music. This is the most housemate friendly option. You could keep your existing speakers for the odd surround sound action in games.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the reply! I've always considered such a move as my mate did the very same thing with some 2nd hand speakers and amp.

So there would be no benefit in the z-5500 however?

Soldato
If you had your heart set on surround sound, the z5500's offer a very cheap alternative. However, if you're mostly listening to music, the hi-fi route is imo infinitely preferable.

Back
Top Bottom