My Grandad has died

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
As the title says, I'm afraid.

This is the second emotive thread I've started, I don't know whether thats good or bad, but what I do know is that I'm going to bloody miss him.

My Dad has just rang to tell me, in tears himself, so I'm going up once I've had a good cry and got myself sorted, and also gotten a bit of food down me.

My best mate isn't here to listen and my girlfriend doesn't finish work until later, so until then I've had to vent here.

I miss him already

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm really sorry to hear that mate. My grandad has been ill for a long time and he's the only grandparent I have left, so I've been fearing the worst for some time.

Hopefully he's in a better place now. Don't be afraid to vent here if needed.

Permabanned
OP
I only have one grandparent left now too. He was her rock.

He has had motor-neurone disease for nearly 6 years, but he couldn't fight anymore I guess. Bravest man I know.

Soldato
Damn mate - sorry to hear that.

My Grandad was my best mate and i loved him more than my parents - he died before i could see him in hospital (the day i was going actually)

I know how you feel mate - think of all the good times with him.

Gilly - hope he's got good a few innings left mate :)

Associate
Its a toughie mate. I only had one grandad and it was a terrible loss when he passed away.

I vividly remember seeing him lying there in his bed, cold and lifeless; something I have made a point of not repeating with any other family breavements. 'Tis better to remember people as they were.

Soldato
I'm really sorry to hear of your loss mate. I miss my Grandad terribly aswell, even though it's about 5 years since he died. He was more like a father to me really, as my dad died when i was 7. Fortunately i have memories of my Grandad, but i never really knew my dad as he was ill for pretty much my entire life.

Aslong as you remember your grandad he'll never really be gone :)

Soldato
Jesus mate, I really feel for ya. :( I can't begin to imagine what you're going through.

Hang in there, cry as much as you want, don't hold it in. The pain will pass quicker and you can start to remember the good times.

RIP :(

Soldato
I'm sorry :(

Grandparents have a unique place in your life, I think. They're close enough that you miss them terribly when they're gone, yet distanced enough that you perhaps don't discover what they're worth until they've gone. They're young enough to be there with you when you grow up and create an illusion of living forever, but old enough to be taken away just when you start to believe it.

If you have grandparents left, respect them. Talk to them. They won't last forever, and they'll give you some of the best advice you'll ever have.

Soldato
Sorry to hear about that mate, I lost both my Grandads nearly 10 years ago now. I'm sure there are plenty of people on here that can talk to you if you need too.

Chin Up.

Soldato
Hey man........really sorry for your loss.

I lost my nan in 1999 4 days before Christmas and it does take a lot of time to get over them. So many memories with them since birth. Its something that to this day I still never forget. Every year shes not there for Christmas dinner anymore. But believe me when I say this. Even though your feelings never change for them it, for some reason, does get easier as time goes on. I dont cry any more when thinking about her. Doesnt mean I love her any less but at least shes not in pain now or anything. Given the circumstances it was probably the best thing now looking back at it.

Oh, and I dont think anyone minds you venting here. Afterall, we all need someone to talk to at time :)

Permabanned
The loss of a grandparent is a terrible thing - I was crushed when I lost one of mine, was in tears for days :(

Just remember - you have lost a grandparent and your dad (I assume since you said he was cut up about it) has lost his dad so try and be strong for your dad, he'll probably need someone to be there for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom