Reflashed Orange N70 Now Works Correctly

Soldato
Well my friend was having the problem with his Nokia N70 with the ringtone problem.. he applied the patch and ensured that it had the latest firmware but still no joy (Could set it to a custom mp3/wav/whatever but would intermittantly play the horrible Nokia theme)... Orange said it was a Nokia fault and was nothing to do with them and would not do anything about it! So he found a company called FoneFix that were able to reflash the phone with the original firmware (Nokia one not the modded Orange one) thus removing all the Orange branding and setting it back to how Nokia made it... And Guess What??? It now works fine... No problems with the ring tones, loads faster... superb phone...

Nice one Orange... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
So the fact that nokia have issued a patch for all N70's and the problem affects N70's on all networks means that it's Orange's fault?

You do know what Nokia have stated is the clear cause of the problem and why the software flash would have fixed it, right?

The simple problem is that the phone is set to default ring if the ringtone doesn't load in a specified time, and is made worse by the phone memory being full or a large ringtone being used.

Now remember that when a phone is flashed, everything is deleted from the phone.....

Lesson one, throwing blame around randomly when someone else has already taken responsibility is bad, mmmkay.

Soldato
OP
Including the orange menu etc... Which takes up huge amounts of memory... and thus slows down the phone... Regardless of fault Orange should have taken the issue up with Nokia and got them to sort it out... Not just inform them of the problem then not accept responsibility to its customers...

FACT Orange have sold a Nokia phone that clearly has a fault! Thier response... "Its not our problem, you will have to wait for a patch" That is just outrageous and i hear that they have secured a spot on Watchdog for it...

What they should have done is:
1) asked the customer polietly if they could wait till the patch is available that should sort the problem.
2) If the customer did not want to do this either replace the phone to the customers satisfaction of equivelent value or refunded any charges...

How would you feel if you bought something... Xbox, TV, computer part then found out that there was a manufacturing fault... What would you do? Take it back and get it swapped or a refund as you are entitled to under the SOG act... Orange have completely disregarded this...

Man of Honour
Skyline said:
Including the orange menu etc... Which takes up huge amounts of memory... and thus slows down the phone... Regardless of fault Orange should have taken the issue up with Nokia and got them to sort it out... Not just inform them of the problem then not accept responsibility to its customers...

They did, that's why Nokia are actually address the problem.

FACT Orange have sold a Nokia phone that clearly has a fault! Thier response... "Its not our problem, you will have to wait for a patch" That is just outrageous and i hear that they have secured a spot on Watchdog for it...

It's not a fault if that's how the manufacturer designs the phone. The phone is working as nokia have designed it to. There are people who want it to work differently, which is what nokia are now working towards.

If Nokia advise the phone is operating correctly, the phone is not faulty. The fact that you are not happy with the way the phone operates does not make it a fault.

What they should have done is:
1) asked the customer polietly if they could wait till the patch is available that should sort the problem.
2) If the customer did not want to do this either replace the phone to the customers satisfaction of equivelent value or refunded any charges...

Why? The phone is operating as per the manufacturers specifications. The fact you aren't happy with those does not make it faulty. The fact that Nokia have released a patch to alter the way their phone works due to customer complaints also does not make it a fault. An issue of customer disatisfaction perhaps, but not a fault.

How would you feel if you bought something... Xbox, TV, computer part then found out that there was a manufacturing fault... What would you do? Take it back and get it swapped or a refund as you are entitled to under the SOG act... Orange have completely disregarded this...

But it's not a manufacturing fault. It's a specification that has proven unpopular due to the fact the safety feature of the default ringtone cuts in if a customer tries to do certain things with their phone. Nokia have confirmed that the phone is not faulty, it is operating exactly as it was designed to. The fact that you are not happy with the way it is designed does not make it faulty.

The fact that Nokia are trying to change the default behaviour of their phone due to customer complaints does not make it faulty, it means customers are not happy with the way the phone is designed to act.

If a product is sold that is working exactly how the manufacturer designed it to work, how is it faulty?

If the phone was failing to ring at all, then it could be argued that it's not fit for purpose, but given the thing that you're complaining about is the feature that ensures that can't happen.....

Soldato
orange software is always causing some sort of problem on nokia phones. I dont think the blame lies on nokias shoulders at all.

yes there was a problem that affected all networks, but nokia sorted it. It didnt work for the orange n70's and oranges responce was, as you know, "not our problem, its nokias". Its no big suprise that the orange software is a memory hogger and causes problems with my 6630, as well. Like not being able to select different screen savers. Sometimes no new message or missed call icons show up if the phone is locked (on the orange homescreen). Not being able to turn the dman thing off. That's all oranges fault.

And with the phone as old as it is, they still haven't dealt with it. Orange do have a responsibility to sort out their software.

Last edited:
Suspended
im thinking of gettin the n70 on orange in the next few days to go with my 8800, will have to get it reflashed by the sounds of things, plus I hate operator branded phones with modified soft

Man of Honour
Well, the first thing you do is kiss any warranty you have goodbye.

Then you find either a service centre willing to risk there nokia contract to flash you to unbranded software, or a dodgy backstreet mobile phone shop.

Or if you're that desperate you could have course buy the unbranded one in the first place.

Soldato
The ringtone problem is a well document one in many Nokia phones. As was stated, it usually involves a ringtone that is stored on a memory card, or is very large in size. The phone is unable to load the tone fast enough to play, so defaults to the Nokia tone instead. Try storing the tone in the phones memory, or use a smaller sized file. It's a simpler solution really!

Associate
Dolph said:

Then you find either a service centre willing to risk there nokia contract to flash you to unbranded software, or a dodgy backstreet mobile phone shop.

Or if you're that desperate you could have course buy the unbranded one in the first place.

Well the phone is an old 6610i which i would presume had no warranty left on it unless Nokia warranty for life, it's also been out of contract for at least 18 months as i've had a 6230i and now 6680 since. I can't see that there should be a problem

Man of Honour
Sorry, thought you were talking about an N70

Then anywhere that offers unbranding should be able to do it, you'll probably get charged for it though.

Soldato
Dolph, do Orange stock unbranded phones?

Will they send you one if requested, even one locked to Orange?

Also, my Orange 6630 has just an Orange theme on it, I prefer the Nokia Theme so change it to that and you would never know it is Orange "branded", as it isn't really.

Man of Honour
Orange don't stock them, however you can get "generic" versions of some handsets (unlocked/unbranded) from CPW/The Link/P4U on an orange contract. The catch is that these phones can't be insured via Orange care, but depending on what you want and if the phone is available that way (the N70/6680/6630 aren't)

Suspended
Dolph said:

my local repair centre flash it as long as i give it in saying its faulty, if i say i just want it flashed they say no

Back
Top Bottom