3Ds Max Help!!!

Associate
I am currently lurning 3ds max 8 and i know im getting too far ahead myself but anyway here is my problem, i am trying to model a car from some blueprints and i make my planes and add the bluwprint to them but i cant model anything because i cant see the blueprints on the screen unless i render the image, someone please tell me how i can view the image without rendering.

Big Thanks!

LuckyPapyrusSam

.:ADDED:.

Here are some images to show what im trying to get at

Last edited:
Associate
Right-click on the viewport name and select Smooth+Highlights
In the material editor click the blue and white cube (Show Map In Viewport) on the material you are using.

Soldato
NokkonWud said:
http://www.3dfoundation.com

Look around and theres a stargate tutorial, thats quite good. There used to be a low polygon church too.

3DSM doesn't have a fiddly interface, not compared to something like SoftImage which is just cluttered :).

Erm, you didn't happen to do computer animation/Computer games design at Teesside did you? I was just about to dig out Doc's church tutorial, then I realised that you'd beaten me to it ;)

Associate
Erm, you didn't happen to do computer animation/Computer games design at Teesside did you? I was just about to dig out Doc's church tutorial, then I realised that you'd beaten me to it

Heh they still using that tutorial, that sprung to my mind too when he mentioned 'church' I used that tutorial in back end of 2001. Was a good one though :)

Associate
OP
I have another problem, i didnt finish that car :p it was too far forward for me, so i did a few tutorials witch i must say dont tell me very much but what i did lurn i tried to model this alien head with and for some reason the mirror tool makes a big mark in the middle of the model every time :(

Can anyone help me fix this problem?

I have no idea what to do....

....Here is a pic of my problem, dont mind the rendering i dont no how to do textures or good renders yet

Caporegime
messiah khan said:
Erm, you didn't happen to do computer animation/Computer games design at Teesside did you? I was just about to dig out Doc's church tutorial, then I realised that you'd beaten me to it ;)

Indeed I do, I study Games Design now, all the modules changed this year, so I am re-doing the new, none animation 2nd year (I'd have almost graduated :( ) but it's a lot better. He has brought out a cracking Stargate tutorial which is even better than the church now :p

Associate
Use the symmetry modifier instead of the mirror tool. Then move the smoothing (presuming you have meshsmooth on?) above the symmetry modifier in the modifier stack! should smooth it as one object then, not 2 halves.

Associate
Sorry to change the subject slightly, but managed to do the church tutorial its pretty good, anyways I put a window in but using a boolean modifier, then I thought id add a light. So i added a onmi light above the object. Works a treat but noticed that the light shines through the roof of the object. Anyway to fix this?

Associate
OP
philio16 said:
Use the symmetry modifier instead of the mirror tool. Then move the smoothing (presuming you have meshsmooth on?) above the symmetry modifier in the modifier stack! should smooth it as one object then, not 2 halves.

Sorry but i am very new to 3ds max, iv only been using it 3 days, where would i find this symmetry modifier?

.:EDIT:.

I think i found the tool but i have no idea what it is doing, here are some screen shots i made to show you what i mean

There is the shape i made

And here is it after using that tool

please help me this is a must need to know ;)

Last edited:
Associate
luckypapyrussam said:
Sorry but i am very new to 3ds max, iv only been using it 3 days, where would i find this symmetry modifier?

On the right hand side of the program, where you have the "create" tools to create geometry.... you will notice some tabs just above the options it gives you. Select your item and then (if it doesnt automatically) select the 'modify' tab. It looks like a blue rainbow. Browse down the list for the symmetry one and click it then play around with the options!

Soldato
therubble said:
Sorry to change the subject slightly, but managed to do the church tutorial its pretty good, anyways I put a window in but using a boolean modifier, then I thought id add a light. So i added a onmi light above the object. Works a treat but noticed that the light shines through the roof of the object. Anyway to fix this?

Make sure you turn shadows on in the light settings. Also i'd advise to stay away from thge boolean function as it creates some horrible geometry. You'd be better off making the window using the cut and extrude tools if possible

Caporegime
messiah khan said:
Make sure you turn shadows on in the light settings. Also i'd advise to stay away from thge boolean function as it creates some horrible geometry. You'd be better off making the window using the cut and extrude tools if possible

Totally agree, the boolean feature is somewhat lacking. Autodesk are pimping a 3rd party plugin especially for booleans.

Soldato
NokkonWud said:
Totally agree, the boolean feature is somewhat lacking. Autodesk are pimping a 3rd party plugin especially for booleans.

Maybe so, but have you tried Hyperboolean... its even worse than the inbuilt one.. more features, but it destroys the geometry. I only use booleans when absolutely necessary, and even then I spend ages manually sorting out the geometry.

Associate
OP
Right here is the only options i get for symetry

Whatever i do with these options nothing happens, this is really anoying me now :(

EDIT

Right i think i have fixed my problem, when i choose something like polygon though is it norman for the image to split back in half? i only see both sides when i click on the symmetry icon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom