To TFT or not that's the Question

Associate
Hi all,
Currently using a 19" Hyundai crt and have to say i'm quite happy with it, However :rolleyes:
i have an opportunity to spend on pc parts and i cant stop looking at these damn tft's :p (and opterons :D)

The system is pretty much in all round use for a bit of dreamweaver/fireworks/etc games now and then (Command & Conquer types, 1st person shooters and the odd Need for Speed) and of course loads of surfing the web and watchin a few films/tv episodes.

Thats the background waffle, the screen i keep coming back to is the Belinea 102035W, Will i see much benefit other than films and the ability to run to web pages side by side! and will i notice the increase in pixel size?

Think i just need convincing.
TIA

Soldato
Sounds like you are talking yourself into buying the DELL 2405FPW (£600) :)

I went from a 19" Mitsubishi CRT to the DELL 24" about 10-11 months ago and it was an upgrade *milestone*.

Widescreen is very useable, no going back! ;)

Associate
OP
This is getting worse :confused:

Looking around here n there and picked up the viewable area measurements for the Belinea :D and it seems it's vertically the same as my 19" Crt
yet when i saw Raymond Lin's Phillips next to a 17"tft that looked the exact same screen height.. Eh? What am i missing?
So if anyone passing happens to have the belinea or another of the 20" wide jobbys could you confirm its Viewable area (in millimetres). Pls n Thx

The downside here is the longer i look around Ocuk at tft's the more i see other stuff and want that instead :rolleyes:

Cheers all

Caporegime
Steves_pc said:

Looking around here n there and picked up the viewable area measurements for the Belinea :D and it seems it's vertically the same as my 19" Crt
yet when i saw Raymond Lin's Phillips next to a 17"tft that looked the exact same screen height.. Eh? What am i missing?
So if anyone passing happens to have the belinea or another of the 20" wide jobbys could you confirm its Viewable area (in millimetres). Pls n Thx all

That's because a 19" CRT has the same viewable space as a 17" TFT. ;)

Soldato
Richdog said:
That's because a 19" CRT has the same viewable space as a 17" TFT. ;)

Not true. 19" CRT has 18" viewable, which is an inch more than a 17" TFT.

In area, a 17" TFT (5:4 ratio) is 140.98 sq cm, and a 19" CRT (4:3 ratio) is 155.52 sq cm, which is over 10% more screen space.

:)

Soldato
Steves_pc said:

Well that's just a fact of widescreen, that you get much less vertical height. That's why it's called widescreen :D I have a 28" 16:9 TV and my mums TV is 28" 4:3. My TV is only a little wider, maybe 10%, but hers is probably 30% taller. That also means widescreen has less area overall.

It all depends whether you are watching/playing something in 16:9 format, then widescreen is well worth having. Take a DVD in 16:9 format for instance, it will be bigger on a 20" widescreen than a 20" 4:3, because a third of the 4:3 screen is wasted on the black bars.

If you want the same vertical height as your CRT, just wider, you need to be looking at 24" widescreen.

Caporegime
fish99 said:
Not true. 19" CRT has 18" viewable, which is an inch more than a 17" TFT.

In area, a 17" TFT (5:4 ratio) is 140.98 sq cm, and a 19" CRT (4:3 ratio) is 155.52 sq cm, which is over 10% more screen space.

:)

Ahh well I meant roughly not exact, my dads 17" TFT is barely smaller than my old 19" CRT. :)

Soldato
Raymond Lin said:
but 19" CRT usually run on 1280x1024 anyway, which is the same as a 17" TFT.

And also the same as a 19" TFT. Anyway, I was talking about the actual physical size of the screens, not the amount of working space. If you want to go by working space though, my 19" CRT can do 2048*1536, and all three 19" CRTs I've used could do 1600*1200 at solid refresh rates.

I wasn't making a CRT vs TFT point though, just pointing out that saying a 17" TFT has the same viewable size as a 19" CRT isn't quite accurate.

Back
Top Bottom