Setting up an úber Linux firewall

Soldato
as title really, i have an old 1ghz athlon lying around and 128meg of ram, iv read lots and lots about how good linux firewalls are, but i know nothing about it, could someone give me a good linux program to run thats the dogs dangleys and very easy to setup, and im not talking about freesco etc, i want something unhackable

it will hopefully be attached to 5 pc's on the network, i thinking the onboard lan port + 5 pci network cards ( i assume i need one network plug --> in from my broadband router, a netgear dg843, ill be wanting to run everything through linux router instead of that, so ill just use it for its broadband moden it has)

Man of Honour
If you put 5 network cards in then you'll get far worse LAN performance than putting the 5 PCs on a switch, and when the firewall PC dies the whole network will die :)

Soldato
Mike306dt said:
Is there a real advantage to a linux firewall instead of using a routers built in one?

Flexability really.

If you do this I'd highly suggest IPCop (Like has been said) but would offer one bit of advice. Get a range real IP addresses from your ISP so you can give the firewall a real IP and let the Netgear take care of the routing. Saves you messing about with DMZ/port-forwarding, etc on the Netgear.

Back
Top Bottom