Recovery...

Soldato
I have started a new and interesting training reigieme which is going to have me seeing a LOT of miles every week and excercising 1 - 2 sessions almost every day...

While I have the enrgy and will to do such things, I find that sometimes my recovery can hold me back. Especially calf muscles while running, which I have helped greatly with lots of stretching before and after any excercise...

Anyone else got any advice...

Man of Honour
Give your calf's some time, if they're consistently holding you back may I suggest you think about the trainers you're running in? People don't appreciate how import a good set of shoes is, especially when your running as you say about twice a day.

A tip from somebody who regularly jogs (not me haha yeah...I wish) is that really concentrate your breathing and posture while running. I know that sounds vague, but once you have efficient ventilation the rest can seem easier.

Hope that helps :)

Associate
I've always had problems with my calves, the only thing I'd suggest is give them a day off otherwise you'll get an injury and end up where you started or worse (look up stress fractures and shin splints), you don't wanna be running more frequently than every other day.

In between running do some non-impact exercises like swimming, pedalling, rowing etc.

Associate
You need to get in at least 1 day a week for recovery (no training) preceded or followed by 1 day of low impact training.

I occasionally use an Aquajogger in the swimming pool. It floats you in a running position and gives you a low-impact, resistance session which can really help those problem muscles, especially calves.

Man of Honour
Taking creatine supplements can increase your muscle stores of phosphocreatine there by aid quicker recovery and is beneficial to maintain higher training volumes or intense training.

Avoid caffeine though :)

Caporegime
Mr Huddy said:
Taking creatine supplements can increase your muscle stores of phosphocreatine there by aid quicker recovery and is beneficial to maintain higher training volumes or intense training.

Avoid caffeine though :)
There's a bit of contention as to whether caffeine is ergogenic or not - I would say, go for it in small doses, but avoid too much, otherwise the diuretic effect will be deleterious.

Soldato
Swiftan said:
I've always had problems with my calves, the only thing I'd suggest is give them a day off otherwise you'll get an injury and end up where you started or worse (look up stress fractures and shin splints), you don't wanna be running more frequently than every other day.

In between running do some non-impact exercises like swimming, pedalling, rowing etc.

I'd second that. How exactly are your calves holding you back?

Soldato
OP
firstborn said:
I'd second that. How exactly are your calves holding you back?

Because out of all the excercise that I do, my calves are the least responsive muscle - I can go down the gym for hours, go climbing for hours yet and be fine the day after. If I run, the only thing that may have trouble recovering are my calf muscles - lungs, energy and everything else are fine...

Soldato
cleanbluesky said:
Because out of all the excercise that I do, my calves are the least responsive muscle - I can go down the gym for hours, go climbing for hours yet and be fine the day after. If I run, the only thing that may have trouble recovering are my calf muscles - lungs, energy and everything else are fine...

Can only restate my agreement with the suggestion of rest the muscles but stretch them out whilst doing so. You say you'll be putting in a lot of miles - have you always done this? If it's a case of going out for a long hard run and you ache the day after - cut back the effort and gradually increase. If you go from cold to lots of miles you're asking for trouble.

If you've always ran a fair bit and always had the problem get yourself to a podiatrist for an assessment to rule out any biomechanical problems.

Just my two pennies worth.

Man of Honour
cleanbluesky said:
Especially calf muscles while running,

You could be doing too much too soon but your main problem may be your running shoes. There are three types of shoe - pronation, supination and neutral and it won't do you any favours if you bought the wrong shoe. A quick guide -

http://www.footstepsofreston.com/faq.html

Bournes Sports have a machine that you run on and it tells you what type of foot strike you have so the assistants tailor to your needs.

Soldato
I'd also advise making sure you drink plenty of water, in addition to the post exercise stretching. By drinking water I mean enough that you are urinating regularly and it is clear.

A gentle swim is also very good for loosening up tight muscles. Concentrating on kicking should loosen the calves up.

Back
Top Bottom