The night before.....

Soldato
Does everyone else here do this with school/uni assignments, do it the night before?
I seem to do this and tonight is kinda 2 nights before and I know I have loads to do so I need 2 nights to do it, I have had since october to do the assignments.

anyone else do similar stuff?

Caporegime
I always did my coursework at the last possible minute. I think I work better and harder when I'm under pressure. If an assignment took roughly ten hours to complete I'd start it ten/eleven hours before it had to be in and just did an all nighter.

Soldato
that theory is good and well, but say if it was like me doing a programming assignment and your program wont compile and you cant figure out why, then that plan can go belly up quickly, especially considering its the middle of the night and theres nobody to ask for help :p Best to start assignments at least a week before handin.

Soldato
at school, always and that was if i could even be bothered doing it at all, as it all seemed so pointless.

at uni, i always intend to start things a while before they're due in, but it often ends up in last minute rushes to do things, which i hate, but it rarely changes.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
I've always been the same. Althought with essays at uni, I do tend to start them earlier because you need time to read up.

Soldato
Pretty much the same :D Throughout my 3 years at uni I vowed after each assignment not to leave it till the last minute again. Never actually got round to doing that though :p Even my dissertation was only at 1000 words by easter (April time) and the deadline was in May. Still managed to get a 1st overall though :D I found the added pressure helped me focus on the task at hand lol.

Soldato
Nix said:
What about revision for exams MarkyMark?

Hmmm, well most of my course was practical based as it was IT (Cisco networking etc.) But the business side had exams. Lets just say that I would be cramming right up until we went into the exam room :) I'd start about 2 days before and go over pretty much everything in those two days. Lucky for me though I didnt have loads of exams all at once because like I say.....a lot of it was coursework :)

Nix

Nix

Soldato
I had coursework over christmas, I started right away but didn't get it all done. I'm still annoyed about that, I needed to be AT the uni to do some of it but naturally being christmas I was 300 miles away. I just hope what I did was enough to at least pass. 1st year doesnt goto my degree anyway so not to worry. I've been getting 2:1s and 1sts on all my essays though.

Soldato
Nix said:
I had coursework over christmas, I started right away but didn't get it all done. I'm still annoyed about that, I needed to be AT the uni to do some of it but naturally being christmas I was 300 miles away. I just hope what I did was enough to at least pass. 1st year doesnt goto my degree anyway so not to worry. I've been getting 2:1s and 1sts on all my essays though.

Don't beat yourself up too much about it. If you started right away and still didnt manage to do it then at least you know you tried your best...and thats all anyone can ask :) If you left it right till the last minute and then messed up then you could be annoyed at yourself :) Congrats on the results so far :)

Suspended
for gcse coursework, i always did it the night before and got stressed out...
theres days when me and one of my freinds pretty much bunked lessons to go into the computer room for a few hours to finish it... closest senario i've had to no being able to hand it in was finishing 2 minutes after the end of school bell went and the work Had to be in as it was the final deadline lol

im either too lazy, or too carefull about starting and doing work when we first get it. i usually struggle to begin writing it untill it's the last chance where i know i have to write something. :p

Soldato
I always did research and thinking about assignments but actually got down to doing them at the last minute, and the night before was normally a very late night or all night session.

I found the pressure helped me to concentrate...gave me a sense of urgency.

One of the best essays I wrote at uni was written after a night out, I'd got my notes done so it wasn't like I'd done nothing but I just flowed.

Associate
I was very similar to MarkyMark. Every piece of assignment work was started no more than 2 days before its due date.
And as for my dissertation, 15,000 words worth (plus research requirements) was started 6 weeks before it was due.

It seemed to work for me, I got a 1st and my dissertation has since been publicised.

I think it depends on how the individual copes under pressure. If I don't have a pending deadline lingering... I tend to not do worry.
On some occasions, I didn't read the assignment title and requirements until the night before the deadline. I just seemed to enjoy the pressure of pulling all nighters to get it done.

It's not something I'd recommend though.

Soldato
yeah last year for my GCSE coursework i always do them the night before. i just never get round to it,say if i had 2 weeks to do i say to myself "ok lets start the work when i get home" but when i get home i say "ive still got 2 weeks" then times flies and before i know it,its the night before. come to think of it i still do that for my Art A-Level course.

bad practice i know

Back
Top Bottom