Exchange email problem

Associate
I run an exchange server at home and today all my outgoing email is being bounced back to me. I checked the the exchange queues and discovered someone been relaying off me :( I've fixed the problem ( had a setting wrong ) My question is will it be a temporary ban or permanant ?

Soldato
It depends who blacklisted you, and how long you'd been relaying for. If you look at the bounces you should get a reason for the bounce and a website that'll have your IP listed as a relay. Look at the website and you may be able to request a relay check on your Exchange server that would automatically clear the blacklist entry if the test is passed.

Associate
OP
Well its not so much a bounce as a delay message :

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE.

Delivery to the following recipients has been delayed.

[email protected]

Reporting-MTA: dns;server.herbsend.co.uk

Final-Recipient: rfc822;[email protected]
Action: delayed
Will-Retry-Until: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 21:00:05 +0000
X-Display-Name: basebox

Associate
OP
I got this then checked the queue and found 410 messages in there ! going to various spam type addresses.
I've frozen them all for now ( not sure how to delete them ) and disabled all outgoing mail.
I think I found the problem, under Server,SMTP,Default SMTP,Access,Relay,All computer which successfully authenticate to relay, regardless of list above. Box was ticked. Ive unticked this now

Associate
OP
Update to problem :

My ip wasnt blocked after all, outgoing mail wouldnt send because zen had changed there dns addresses and I had updated everything else apart from exchange.
Email que has been steadily growing over the past day so I did a virus scan, found 30 virus & 1 trojan (not good) system scans clean now but more mails are appearing in the que :( its up to 600 now.
So I have 2 questions firstly how do I delete those mails in the que ? I have frozen them to make sure that I can send email (which worked) but as more are appearing I have disabled outgoing email until I can sort problem. Secondly where are these mails coming from ? Ive done the relay test from http://www.abuse.net/relay.html which confirmed that it wasnt relaying emails

Associate
OP
Says file is being used by another program ?
I've stoped all exchange services running but still get the same message ? is there other services I need to stop ?

Associate
I've done it this way before now,

From memory you create a fake smtp connector to route mail through with an invalid IP address.

You then change the delivery time to say midnight, let the queues build up and stop.

Then delete them and the connector.

We did it this way once, but was a while back, there is a Microsoft Document on how to do it.

Back
Top Bottom